Chapter 44

Alinor

The Lady of Light nodded, "Thank you, please, rest and have some food." She looked at her adopted nephew, "Lord Killian, it looks like we'll have to make this trip first."

Killian nodded, "Lady, you should go, I have some other things to take care of. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go with you back to the capital or to investigate the magical disturbance."

The Lady paused, her eyes downcast, "This is what I was afraid of. I thought that if I came, you wouldn't refuse me." She smiled at him sadly, "In this world, only you dare say no to me, child. You know that I can not bear to force you to do anything."

Killian looked at the Lady of Light, "Thank you, my lady, for doing everything you could for me." She was treated like a living goddess, and her word was law. It was she who convinced the King of Dycathion to house him, when the King of Londaros wanted him dead. And it was because of her that he had been allowed to grow into the man that he had become.

The Lady of Light shook her head, "Your mother was one of the few people in this world I could trust with my life. And you are every inch her child." She shook her head, "Are you sure that you've made the right decision?"

Killian stood up and gave her a bow, "It's time, my Lady. I won't put it off any longer."

The Lady of Light sighed sadly, "I pray that you won't be harmed. I can not rescue you, as I must maintain the balance between the three kingdoms." She looked out of the ornately gilded window, "I only hope that you can spare those who do not deserve death." Her fingers tapped the glass in a quiet rhythm, "I taught you all that I could, but I never taught you mercy. But I do not regret it."

Killian bowed but said nothing.

An attendant in green livery, lined with white silk came and bowed to Killian and then bowed deeper to the Lady of Light, "Most revered Lady, my Queen begs an audience with you and my Lord." His voice shook with emotion, after all, he had never been so close with the living emblem of humanity and magic, and most likely, he never would again. The Lady of Light smiled graciously, "But of course."

They walked down the corridor of the ornate hall, the gold molding shone in the dancing light of the hundreds of candles.

The bloodbath that had washed the palace was nowhere evident. Queen Osirana stood in the middle of her glittering court, she wore a gown of emerald lined and the traditional diamond and pearl circlet. She smiled and curtsied low, showing respect to the High Lady, "Gracious Lady, please receive our humble and most sincere apologies for not receiving you in the style in which you must be honored. We had ... a minor inconvenience, and must beg your forgiveness."

Jacen snorted, "Our invasion was a minor inconvenience? Does my lady also think a lion is a kitty?"

"As much as I think you a great man, my lord." Queen Osirana's voice was cool. Lord Jacen reddened, he opened his mouth to argue only to have Lord Evans step on his foot.

The fourteen year old queen turned to Lord Killian, "Lord Killian, I have inspected the treasury, and have brought you the Sword of the Undying. Forged three thousand years ago by the master blacksmith Dwarf Harik" She beckoned her finger and a man came to him, a sword in an ivory scabbard sat on an emerald pillow, the black pommel with its black jewel glittering in the firelight. Next to it, sat the concession of land to Dycathion.

Killian took the sword and drew it out of its scabbard. It shone with a glow indicative of its superiority over all other swords.

The Lady of Light reached out, "Give me your sword, child."