Chapter 21

Drip...Drip...Drip, the last vestiges of the poisoned wine reluctantly left the gold cup as it fell into the potted rhododendrons. Brilliant flowers in rushes of royal purple turned black in an instant, crumbling to dust in the light breeze.

Lord Evans stifled a sigh, he had just ordered those flowers from the far east. It was not easy to serve a master who had little regard for gardening. 

Lord Killian looked at the poisoned liquid, "Sloppy and Desperate. Even a page could see through it." He snapped his fingers, "All of you, out." He looked at Cybelline, "Stay."

Patrick opened his mouth to argue, but Lord Evans clapped a hand over the boy's mouth and dragged him out by the collar, "You've caused enough trouble, and I need a gardener."

The door slammed shut, the hollow thud rang out in the chamber, followed by the gentle tapping of fingers on granite.

"My lord, is there anything else you need?" Cybelline bobbed a bow, the picture of a country bumpkin noble.

"Bring me the robes that they wanted me to wear." The lord pointed to the clothes in the package that Patrick had left.

"My lord, shouldn't a servant help you with this?" She asked but she opened the package.She wanted to leave too, but how to do so without rousing the suspicions of  this powerful lord? 

She looked at the clothes on the table, complex didn't even began to describe the court robes that had been brought up. A coat of intricate gold vine pattern set on a deep, almost wine colored red. It looked expensive, as did the rest of the clothing.

Cybelline sniffed, there was something off with the coat. It felt wrong, like mold on food. 

Undoubtedly he knew, and if she just gave it to him, he would probably suspect that she was working for his enemies. He was testing her. 

Killian looked down at the page, "What's taking so long?"

Cybelline said nothing but continued to stare at the mass of intricate knots and rubies that doubled as buttons on the coat.

"Well? Get on with it." Lord Killian ordered, the sardonic smile hung on his face.  There was magic in those clothes, it was the kind of magic that control the actions of the wearer. He would probably slit his own throat before he even finished putting on the damned thing.

How would this page act? He wondered. Even the most innocent looking boy in the palace was a snake waiting to strike. This page was a mere child, but could it all be an act?

Cybelline looked up, "My lord." She said seriously. The other man raised his eyebrow.

"This coat is an abomination of colors, even I, a simple country boy could see it. It would be an embarrassment of your... awesome frame, to wear something so hideous." Cybelline said, "If I may make some modifications?"

Killian nodded, Cybelline grinned and took the coat. She walked carefully to the window as if to examine it, and without a word, she threw it out the window.

The priceless fabric fell on indignant ducks in the pond outside. 

She dusted her hands and shrugged, "After careful consideration, I found it too offensive to exist in your presence. Women will not flock to you, if you wore that." And then she looked him up and down, "And if my lord prefers men, they won't like you in it either.

Lord Killian had been taking a sip of water, hearing that, he choked and spat it out. 

Killian had spent countless years in the war fields, he had slept on hard grounds and ate rock hard food in the worst of times. But all that time he was always impeccable, there was an air of aristocratic grace.  Every action reminded people that he was a noble, one who could dance in the grand banquets and kill on the battle field. But apparently that refinement went up in flames with the words of this little page. 

In rage, he pointed at the page

Cybelline's eyes widened with innocence, "My Lord?" He was still speechless as she continued, "My lord, if you want, I can go and find you another coat. Or did I guess wrong and you want me to find you a few eligible men?" She looked out side with sudden shyness "But my lord, it's still light outside. That kind of thing should be done at night."  

Killian took a deep breath, tried not the strangle the little page, and pointed to the closet. "Shut up. My courtier clothes are in there."

Cybelline nodded, walked in. Inside, a much simpler set of clothes waited for her.

Upon exiting she handed the clothes to Killian. Killian looked down at the small figure, "Aren't you going to dress me?"

Cybelline looked at him, and then looked at herself, She replied dryly, "My lord, I can't even reach your chest."

"Useless, just like all court nobles." Killian pointed out as he shook out a few things from the pile, he looked at her, "How did you know there was something wrong with the coat?" His voice was cool, almost casual. 

Cybelline stayed silent.

"You're good, Page. And had you only saved me once, I could have chalked it up to luck." Lord Killian's voice was dry, in his large hand was now playing with a dagger. Though he did not spare her a glance, the blade he held had a cool, cruel gleamed to it.

The deep green vest with the creamy white tunic brought out the emerald of his eyes. His hose was made of the same white material, a ceremonial belt hung on the well cut frame.

Cybelline took the new coat, a deep green that matched the young general's eyes and held it open, "My lord." Killian took it from her hands, "Tell me, Page, what is it that you want?"

Cybelline's eyes sharpened, "My lord, I only wanted to serve you."

"But I don't trust you." Killian's glance could pierce iron.

"The way I see it, the best thing I should do now is to kill you." Killian flipped the dagger up and down, until was just a blur of light, he sighed, "It would be a pity to get my court clothes dirty."

"I'm suppose to go with you to the banquet tonight, you even said it yourself." Cybelline pointed out, "People will ask questions."

"I could tell them that you took a fall." The general lord looked up, "Off the highest tower."

"Or," Cybelline added helpfully, "you could let me live."

The dagger stopped twirling. Killian looked at her with a sardonic look, "If you are of value to me, I could consider it."

Cybelline grinned though inwardly she was cursing the Killian to hell and back, "My lord, I'll do my best."

The general grinned, "Good. Then I have a task for you."

Cybelline looked him suspiciously. The general continued, "This poisoned wine and the magicked clothes were just the beginning. There will be a few attempts on my life tonight. Most of them I can handle myself, but as I am not allowed weapons or my loyal soldiers in the presence of my king, I am helpless."

Cybelline suppressed a snort, she doubted this man would ever be helpless, "Does my lord have a guess as to how many times people will try to kill you."

"Probably around ten or fifteen."

"Ten or fifteen." Cybelline's words were pushed through clenched teeth, her entire night would be spent taking care of him. But he was her ticket into the banquet, she sighed inwardly.

"I'm popular these days, apparently killing me off has become a regular habit of my enemies."

"I wonder why, you manipulative bastard." Cybelline whispered underneath her breath. She had her own mission tonight, she really didn't want to care about this bastard's life or death.

"Page, stop all the attempts on my life tonight and I will spare yours." Killian handed her the dagger.

"My lord, it seems a bit dangerous." Cybelline's voices trembled, the general's eyes turned colder than winter in that instant. She took the dagger and thrusted it into her belt. 

"Do I get anything else?" Cybelline quickly added, "Gold, jewels, I'm not particularly picky."

"Nothing but my gratitude." Was the smug response.