Chapter 46

Cybelline knew something had changed the moment she pulled the tower into her realm. It was as if her mind had expanded, there was so much more she could think and do, she was no longer bound by the meager rules of human thought. How did she know that? And why was she so certain?

After everything that had happened, she was so tired. She had never done so much in so little time she felt like a battery that's slowly being recharged. 

In the blissful darkness she laid back and thought about her current world. 

Everything was surrounded in so much mystery, she felt that the more involved she became, the larger the tangle grew. She wanted to know.

She was floating for what seemed like an eternity, there was no body to tie her down anywhere in the vast ether of time and space, no point of reference for home.

What was home? She didn't know where she belonged, even when she was an assassin, she floated in the wind, a ghost amongst the living. And then she was pulled into this strange new world without any explanation, with a conflict that she wanted no part in. But try as she might, she found herself stepping deeper and deeper into the murky waters with no direction. 

I want to know what had happened in this world, why I was brought her, she thought. 

As soon the thought took shape, she felt a gentle pull on her consciousness. Like the warmth of sunlight in the early hours of the morning, it made her want to follow, to chase after it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cybelline watched the scene below with mild interest. She had followed the light until she floated to an unfamiliar road on an unfamiliar land. She seemed to have arrived in a grand city that spanned as far as the eye could see, the proud and intricate parapets stood guard over the maze of the city, each building so close that the neighbors could climb from one house to another. Learned men and women gathered in the corners to discuss politics under the cool shade of grape vines while children ran from one street vendor to another. 

Cybelline had first tried to communicate with the people but found that no one could see her. She felt a pull to one of the roads and followed it to watch the seen unfold. It was as if she was a ghost. 

A young man lay on the road, his hair and face covered in mud, his eyes full of stubbornness as the well dressed man above him aimed a kick on his stomach. The young man gritted his teeth and was about to fight back when...

A teenage girl stood in front of him, her eyes ablaze with anger. 

"What right do you have to kick him?" She demanded. Though she was short little thing, her fury made her ten feet tall.

The man looked down and hmphed, "He blocked the road of the Queen to Be. Dirty human scum." The man's elfin ears were visible as he pushed his cap slightly upward.

The girl's eyes narrowed, "She is not queen yet, just an elf who seduced the old king and then the crown prince."

 The elf's mouth fell open and he raised his hand, red flame shot up. The girl didn't even frown but a slight nod of her head sent the man flying. The other guards gasped, how could this little human girl be so powerful?

She turned around and knelt beside the youth, "Are you alright?" The young man looked into his eyes as if he was dazzled, he shook his head and then nodded.

The girl smiled, "I'm Kyria, my valet will take you and clean you up"

"I wondered who would be so bold in my presence." A woman whose voice was as sweet as windchimes came out of a grand carriage.