Chapter 61

The glittering court of the Queen of Spies and Prince of Thieves was a rowdy one. Women in a multi-colored silken robes danced on tables, shedding their draperies like falling petals of dying flowers. Musicians sang bawdy tunes as mead flowed like rivers into the jeweled cups for the nobles.

Queen Estelle lounged on her opulent throne, made of gold and human hand bones, a macabre affair said to be created from the hands of thieves and their treasures. She played with the hair of one of her favorites as he sought to kiss her lovely fingers. Phillip sat on the throne next to hers, trying not to fall asleep.

"My Queen, you look radiant. I am sad to hear that you have a new favorite, have you forgotten me so quickly?" A ravishing beauty approached the throne and gave a majestic bow, her clothes a fine brocade of blue and silver. Jewels show off her snowy complexion as her dark eyes roved over the Queen of Spies. She held onto the arm of a stranger, even as she spoke to her queen. Beside her, another man stood.

Queen Estelle leaned forward and captured the speaker's chin, "My sweet Anera, you haven't even met my new favorite and you're already jealous?" She gave her a light kiss , "Behave, and if you're good. I'll share."

Anera grinned at her queen, "I'll be docile a lamb." She turned and gestured, "I would like to introduce my friends, Lord Norian and Prince Jasreth."

Two men bowed to the Queen, one dressed in a black silk tunic, came forward "Hello Queen Estelle, your beauty makes me speechless ."

They were handsome youths, with touches of similarity that marked them as relatives. Estelle raised her eyes, "And yet, you never seem to be able to control yourself, Lord Norian. What are you doing, so far from Londaros?" She paused and placed a delicate hand to her mouth, "My apologies, now that the border as changed, you are even farther from home."

Lord Norian smiled, "We thought we could come and enjoy the Festival of the Fox before heading back. After all, we are neighbors."

He took a step closer, "I was hoping to ask for your Majesty's help in giving us safe passage back to our kingdom."

"You are not fit for my presence, much less discuss the current state of politics, Lord Norian."

Queen Estelle did not even glance up from her cup, "You are a dog beaten in the game of war, a bastard who will no longer have a place at his father's court. Tell me, what could you offer me that would remotely interest me in conversing with you?"

Estelle glanced at the other man, "Your brother, Prince Jasreth, now he is much more suited to talking to me."

Lord Norian's smile seemed frozen to his face as he stared at the woman on the throne who had not so much looked at him. His eyes were ice cold. He would make this chit pay soon.

Lady Anera hung onto Prince Jasreth as she tried to diffuse the awkward moment, "My Queen has a sharp tongue, Lord Norian."

Lord Norian glared at the useless Jasreth. Tonight the Prince of Londaros was clothed in silver, elongating his slender yet elegant figure. This eldest prince seemed to live without a care in the world.

Lord Norian had itched to kill this half brother of his in their escape but there was still a little value to his life. Until the end of tonight, of course.

Queen Estelle frowned, her power rose out of her. A gust of air pushed the bastard lord away from her, "Begone." He stepped back and in that moment, accidentally bumped into Lady Anera.

Lord Jasreth freed himself from Anera walked to Queen Estelle, "Cousin dear, you look radiant."

"I didn't know we were related." Queen Estelle looked up at the man with interest. He was scholarly in his looks, elegance and refinement in every inch of his figure. Estelle found this amusing, as every report she had read indicated this man was harmless. His presence in the court was little and while his bastard brother had every indication of seizing the throne, this prince had done nothing over the years to curb the ingrate's influence.