Chapter 65

Lightning washed her bones, it pounded her form, violently refining it over and over, breaking everything down to rebuild it. Normal mages absorbed magic slowly over the years, changing their bodies until they were near immortal. For Cybelline, the power that ran through her body would have burned a hundred mages.

---

In the land inside the ring, the tree felt the rush of power and grew ten feet, going from young sapling to tree in an instant, the fiery red leaves flourished and white buds began to show signs of coming to life. The land changed once more as it revealed more of itself. Mountains that had been mere shadows stood proud in the distance, its snow caped beauty sparkling like icy jewels. An entire expanse of forest grew out of the fog, as trees that were hundreds of years old presented themselves once more to the living.

Ithos, Myrai and the children rushed out to see what was going on.

Ryion had been closest to the tree. He had seen it sprout up as if ten years had passed. He looked up to see a bolt of lightning come towards him.

Myrai and Ithos leapt for him but it was too late, the little boy was engulfed in a branch of lightning. The couple were knocked back as they watched in horror as the boy screamed.

---

Outside, Cybelline felt the roar of lightning subside and she opened her eyes once more.

Anera stared at the woman who floated in mid-air, how could she be alive? This made no sense. She had no magic. What sort of trickery was this?! She tried calling the relic back to her but to her infinite horror, the globe was nowhere to be found.

Her face drained of all color and she dared not look at Norian. Norian's eyes seemed to replicate the horror in hers. Where was the holy relic? What did the bitch do to it?

Cybelline looked at her, "Do you still want to fight?" She looked at Anera and was reminded of Alyena's crazed stare.

Anera was almost crazy with rage, "HOW?" She screamed. It was a holy relic, any normal person who touched it would instantly explode.

Cybelline smiled, "Thanks for your gift." Cybelline played with the lightning at her finger tips, "I'm really enjoying it."

Anera was not done yet. She raised her hands and uttered an incantation, a layer of fog appeared, obscuring the view of the crowd. They barely noticed, they were still not over the shock.

Killian looked up at the woman who stood in air. He took a breathe, the first since he'd seen her dive into lightning. He melted back into the shadows, leaving as suddenly as he appeared. His Cybelline could take care of herself. But this doesn't mean those who tried to harm her could do as they pleased.

Inside the fog, Anera smiled viciously and took out her bow and an arrow she had prepared especially for this occasion. Instead of aiming it at Cybelline, she aimed it at Estelle, "Goodbye, Queen Estelle." She was the spell caster and could see a little better than the rest. Estelle was closest and would be the first to die.

Estelle couldn't see, but she heard Anera, "Anera, you know that they would kill you the moment you have no use them right?" She asked, her voice hollow, "You're betraying all of us by doing this."

Anera paused, "I don't believe you."

"Why would I lie?" Estelle wanted kick the girl off the horse, but she was too weak right now.

"Because you've always been above me. And now... now that I am more powerful, you want to see me fail."

"You're an idiot."

Anera ignored the queen and took aim and let loose her arrow.

"I enjoyed your company but I truly will be a better ruler." Anera said. She scanned the sky for Cybelline but found no one.