Chapter 17

It was on the twentieth day the weary travelers arrived at the edge of the city.

Cybelline looked at the sparkling city, it's gleaming tall walls, capped with blood red stone. Towers of the same red soared above the city, the parapets winkling in the sun. Above the city, a castle of red granite and sandstone stood proudly above the red and white creation. Flags of red flew proudly on the parapets and soldiers in full armor patrolled the giant walls. It was as if she had walked into a fairy tale.

"Garnet of the West." Jinon said as he too stared at it. He jerked his head, "Come, child, we've lots to do."

"So where to first?"

"We have to get you a Seer." He walked down, "She'll know what we're dealing with."

"You make it sound like I have a disease." She grumbled.

Jinon looked forward, "It is."

The sentries barely glanced at the two travelers as they passed. Jinon handed a few coins to the guard and they went through a small gate. It was still early in the morning, but many of the vendors were already setting up their stalls.

"Watch out for pickpockets." Jinon murmured as a little boy ran up to them, his filthy hand outstretched. Jinon knelt down to look at the little boy, "Imp."

"Jinon Ophelios" The little boy said with a cheeky grin, his blue eyes twinkling, "I almost didn't recognize you with that blanket on your face." He patted Jinon's beard, "Is that really you in there?"

Jinon scowled at the little boy, "Your mother's guessed that we're here?"

The little boy nodded, "Solara said that trouble was coming." The little boy looked at Cybelline, "You're new. My name is Imp."

"I am." Cybelline said she stuck out a hand to shake, the boy looked at her quizzically, "Are you giving me your hand in marriage? I'm a little old for you."

Pffffffffff. Jinon buried his face in his hair. Imp turned to him slowly, "At least people still want to marry me, you look like catsick, has a woman even looked at you properly in the past hundred years?" That cut off the laughter as Jinon made a growling noise.

Imp turned to Cybelline and smiled up at her, "Give it a few years, I'll wait for you."

Jinon grabbed Imp's collar and raised him to his eye level, "If you want to live past today, you should go find Solara." Imp stuck out his tongue as Jinon dropped him, the little boy landed lightly on the ground. He bowed elegantly and disappeared down the street.

Jinon shook his beard and headed for a bakery stall. He grabbed a few rolls for himself and Cybelline.

"So your friend Solara, She'll be able to help me?" Cybelline asked as she tore off a chunk of the roll. Jinon nodded, "She'll be able to tell how much magic you have and what type."

Cybelline frowned, "I know that the Fae are categorized by blood power, sixth being the lowest and first being the strongest. I didn't know there were types for us."

Jinon nodded, "Human mages are much weaker, but they gave themselves a titles based on power. There's Novice, Apprentice, Acolyte, Journeyman, Master, Grandmaster, and Lord Supreme. There are Four types of powers and Orders who run them. You met the Water Mages of the East in the forest, there's the Earth Mages of Novoria, And there's the Fire Mages here in the kingdom of Dycathion."

"And the fourth?"

"They're called the Light Mages. They control pure energy. The other three orders worship these light mages as they have the most power and are the most rare of the four. Even kings and queen have to bow to their Lord Supreme."