Chapter 64

The lightning rippled and crackled, its many branches reaching for things to destroy. The force of its power slammed the barrier, the mages who created it screamed and turned to dust.

The crowd was fixated in horror at power, for if not contained, it would destroy everyone here. Hundreds of thousands would die.

But they couldn't scream or panic. Their eyes were drawn to the slender figure that now raced for the heart of power, a tiny speck in front of a tidal wave. She was going towards it without fear or hesitation.

Cybelline felt its beckoning power. She heard the ancient call and knew, in that moment, it would not hurt her. She dove headfirst, knowing that it would not hurt her.

The lightning crackled and engulfed her, it was a powerful embrace and she fell into the center of its power.

Upon her touch, time frozen. The world froze for a millisecond and Cybelline felt the familiar feeling of being transported to another dimension. In that millisecond, only she had mobility and agency.

When she opened her eyes, she found herself in a little alcove. A woman in white sat by a little well, she stared at the well, humming absentmindedly. Her hair was a pale gold, the tresses falling to her feet. Her skin a lovely alabaster and her eyes like sapphires.

On her back were two large white wings. No. They were no longer wings. For they were in tatters, barely held together.

The woman began to sing again, her voice echoing in the little place.

On lonely branch the bloom did fall

To love a river who cared naught

And give and give and give their all

Only to watch the river flow away, all their love forgot.

Her voice was lovely and seemed to have soothing effects on the soul. She looked up to see a strange girl staring back at her.

"Are you here to relieve me of my burden?" The woman looked intently at Cybelline. She smiled, "Come closer, young hero."

Cybelline felt no danger from this lovely porcelain of a figure. Cybelline came closer and examined the fae who sat in front of her.

She was covered in spider thin cracks. Like a true aged porcelain doll. These were not like scars of the flesh, for they seemed to have reached the depth of her bones.

The woman saw Cybelline's stare and smiled sadly, "I am glad to have met you. If you had come another ten years later, I fear that I wouldn't have been able to greet you." She gestured to herself, "These are cracks on my soul."

"What does that mean?"

"Only the greatest of sinners have these marks upon them." Alyena said sweetly, her eyes were dreamy and her voice without a hint of remorse, "Only those who have committed unforgivable crimes."

She stood up, "I am Alyena. Lady of the Light Elves and Fae. Second Lieutenant to the great Queen Titania."

"You were in the war between humans and elves."

Alyena looked at her curiously, "You know of the war?" She sighed, "That was so long ago."

"What crimes did you commit?" Cybelline asked, she had a feeling that this woman would float away and disappear in a moment.

For a moment, the dreamlike quality disappeared and the harsh look of hatred seemed to permeate the being. Cybelline frowned and reached for her knife. Was this the true nature of Alyena?