Chapt3. just in case

"It's bad enough that I have THREE of them in my class. But one HAD to be seated next to me." Sohye complained as they walked to lunch. Hyejin tried to help make her feel better but Sohye had been complaining for five minutes straight. There were loud foot steps coming from behind, and before Hyejin could move, two boys zoomed past them, ruthlessly knocking Sohye onto the hard floor.

Without thinking, Hyejin grabbed their bags with both of her hands, pulling them into a quick stop.

"Who is she?" The boy with red hair asked the other. The other boy shrugged.

A girl with braids standing next to Hyejin looked like her spirit escaped. "K-Kim Seungmin and Yang Jeongin... "

"Hey, you knocked her down. Apologize." Seungmin tried to run but Hyejin had a firm hold.

"What's your name?" Yang Jeongin asked.

Sohye looked up at them. "Kim Sohye." The girl with braids seemed to be shrieking inside. This school is so weird.

Seungmin and Jeongin turned their attention on Hyejin. "And yours?" There was a crowd of students gathering around them. Nosy people.

"Jeon Hyejin."

"We're sorry for bumping into you, Sohye." They apologized. Hyejin seemed satisfied and let go of their bags. Before they could get back on their way to the cafeteria, three people managed to get through the crowd. Girls were screaming and Hyejin could see heart eyes everywhere.

"Why are you apologizing?" A boy wearing a black leather jacket asked.

Jeongin gleamed. "Changbin-hyung!"

"We bumped into a girl." Seungmin explained to them.

The girl laughed. "Do you guys know how many times you've bumped into people? This is your first time apologizing. Surprising."

"Well we wouldn't have known if it wasn't for Hyejin." Jeongin told them, then looked at Hyejin. Changbin and the girl looked at her direction.

"Oh? I've never seen you around. You new?"

"This is my first year here."

"You're 14?" Jeongin asked her. Seungmin laughed.

"No, I'm 17, turning 18 next year. I'm a junior."

"Ah! That means you're the same age as us! Well, not Jeonginie. He's a year younger." The girl exclaimed. "My name is Seo Ji-hyo. Nice to meet you. I hope we get along."

This is so awkward. "Yeah, same here."

The girl in braids was still here. She was now actually shrieking, catching everyone's attention. Ji-Hyo smiled at her and turned back to Hyejin. "Well, we'll be going now. See you around." She walked besides Changbin and Felix. Jeongin and Seungmin followed behind. Finally... Sohye got up from the floor and the "audience" started leaving one by one. Before Sohye and Hyejin walked away from the spot, the girl in braids tapped her shoulder.

"U-um, thank you!" Sohye and Hyejin glanced at each other. Um for what exactly? "Because of you, Seo Ji-Hyo and Stray Kids noticed me!"

"Ah... you're welcome."

"I have to express my gratitude! I will buy you guys drinks!"

Hyejin knew the girl would keep insisting so she didn't even bother declining the offer. "Thanks."

* * *

"You don't know who Seo Ji-Hyo is?" The girl with braids asked, while taking out the drinks from the vending machine, shocked. "I know you're new to this school but she's popular not only here, but also around the area. Along with Stray Kids. She's the 'queenka'." The girl with braids handed the drinks to them.

"Queenka?" Sohye scoffed. "People still use that word?" Sohye cringed.

[queenka="queen" of the school. The most popular girl and may act self-centered. Mostly used in fan fictions.] [kingka="king" of the school. Most handsome and popular.]

"There's no official kingka, though. People suspect that it might be Hyunjin, Changbin, or Felix." The girl munched on chips. "My name is Min Ara, by the way." Felix? Kingka?

"Pshht. I don't care about this whole queen and king of the school thing." Sohye said, sipping her coffee. Hyejin agreed with Sohye. This is school, not a fan meeting nor some monarchy.

Hyejin and Sohye got up and headed to the cafeteria from the school yard. Min Ara followed from behind. "Hey! Wait up!"

published
031818