2. Arrival

Just as we exited the freeway and started the route to the hotel, I got butterflies. Something about this city makes me excited to explore. Harper got giddy like me, too. We'd only ever been to the Redwoods in California. That was a field trip for our outdoors class, and we didn't get to explore the state at all.

She drove up to the stoplight, and the GPS told her she needed to turn left.

"Shit, I'm not in the turning lane." She said.

"Just go straight and-" I began. I was cut off by Harper taking a sharp left once the light turned green. Several cars honked, including the one she cut off in the turning lane. She giggled and continued driving.

"Oh my." I held my hand over my forehead, and rolled my window down for some air. Typical Harper though. I'm not surprised or anything.

As we approached another yellow light, we slowed down. The car behind us got into the lane next to us and he rolled down his window.

Without saying anything, the wavy haired boy with a striped blue shirt flipped us off. He didn't say anything.

"Really?" I said.

He looked focused on me for a second. "Oh shit are you guys playing Jeremy Zucker?" He asked.

Harper stuck her hand out my window and flipped him off. He laughed, and I laughed.

"You're the one who swerved into my lane." He shrugged.

"Well.. true. Sorry." Harper said. The light turned green, we went straight, and the boy went right.

"Great way to start our endeavors in Cali." I laughed.

"Fuck. I was rude and he was actually so hot." She laughed. "That was rude of me."

I just laughed and looked out the window, admiring all the lights. There were a lot of nice cars around, and I felt like I heard a lot of music. It's only 9pm, but I'm exhausted. I know Harper is too.

"The city is so alive." I whined. "But I need sleep."

"We have a week and a half here. We can just sleep when we get to the hotel and do all the adventuring tomorrow." She said, turning into a parking garage.

"True." I agreed. We checked in to the hotel, grabbed our suitcases out of my car, and went back in to go find our room on the 11th floor.

Immediately after opening the door, Harper ran in and jumped onto one of the beds. Apparently they'd screwed up our reservation and had to put us in a nicer room, which included 2 beds, a huge tub, a glass shower, and apparently a humongous flat screen TV.

"Oh my god." I laughed. "This is so nice." I looked at the red walls, and huge glass windows. They even had a section for a little kitchen. The fridge looked bigger than mine at home.

"Thank you Four Seasons for screwing up. We love you." Harper put her hands in a praying position.

I went and jumped on the other bed, burying my face into the fluffy white sheets. I groaned. "Harp get me ready for bed. I'm too tired."

"I CALL THE BATHROOM FIRST. I've been driving for like 82 hours." She jumped up and ran into the bathroom, shutting the door. I laughed and rolled over into the bed.

My phone dinged with a text. I took it out of my back pocket and saw a text from my mom.

Mom: You guys there yet?
Me: just got here! they screwed up our reservation so we got a really nice room. super tired
Mom: Really?! Lucky! Get some rest please! Call me if you need me any time.
Me: will do. love you lots
Mom: I love you lots. Goodnight!

I stood up and plugged my phone charger from my purse into the wall and plugged my phone in. I plopped down on the bed once more, and started seeing stars, I was so tired.