3. Day Out

"Aria! Wake up!" Harper shook me. I squinted at the crisp sunlight entering the room.

"What time is it?" I groaned.

"It's 10am. I've been awake for an hour. Let's gooo!!" She beamed.

I looked at her perfectly straightened, long, dark red hair. She was wearing a black crop top with distressed jeans and her "adventuring" shoes, which were yellow Chuck Taylor's. She's obviously completely ready to go.

"Wasn't I suppose to get the bathroom after you last night?" I sat up.

"I was in there for like, 7 minutes. You were dead when I came out." She laughed.

I tried to remember falling asleep, but I honestly don't. "Okay give me like half an hour." I said, standing up to grab my clothes out of my suitcase, along with my makeup bag.

I decided to take a quick shower, and just put my hair in a shower cap.

After showering, I lightly curled my short brown hair and brushed through my messy bangs. I didn't do much makeup, because I figured I'd have sunglasses on the whole time anyways. I slipped on a red sundress, and my black sandals.

When I came out, Harper was eagerly waiting on the edge of her bed.

"Are you ready, finally?!" She asked.

"Yes." I laughed. "Let's go." We both grabbed our purses and headed out.

In the car, Harper explained for like 30 minutes about how we had to go to a smoothie place that she found online. She insisted we go there and order the Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie, then go out and go shopping.

I followed the GPS, slightly overwhelmed at the traffic. It's a Tuesday in the middle of May, so I assume a lot of these people are working people. Or, visitors just like us.

We pulled up to SmooBar, which had a giant picture of a smiling smoothie hanging above the door. It was decorated really cute, and there weren't too many people inside. Harper and I got out and went inside to order.

After Harper ordered both of us peanut butter jelly smoothies, we sat down in the white chairs and admired the art on the walls.

Just then, 3 guys walked in. One of them looked strangely familiar and I couldn't figure out why. Harper tapped my shoulder and whispered into my ear.

"The boy with the denim jacket is the one we saw at the stoplight." She laughed but tried to keep it secretive.

I smiled and turned the other way so he wouldn't recognize us and say anything. Harper kept letting out laughs, which made me laugh. They stood next to our table, trying to figure out what to order.

"Ooo, banana chocolate chip." One of them said. "Oooo, peanut butter jelly???" He said again. I looked behind me to see who was saying it, and he immediately turned towards me. It was the same boy from the stoplight. I immediately turned around and Harper was holding in a laugh. I was too.

"Harper." The worker called. Before she could stand up, the boy in the denim jacket got both smoothies from the counter and set them down for us. Without saying anything again, he flipped up his middle finger.

Harper lost it, and I couldn't help it either. The boy bursted out in laughter too, and his friends looked extremely confused.

"I was really nervous that I was going to do that and it was going to be some random girls that didn't know what the hell I was doing." He laughed.

Harper flipped him off again. "No, trust me, I remember."

I laughed again. The boy was standing really close to me, and he smelt like this really good cologne, but he also smelt like chicken or something. He had these really amazing hazel eyes. Definitely someone that Harper would go for.

"What's your guys' names?" He held out his hand.

Harper took the offer and shook his hand. "I'm Harper." She smiled.

"I'm Aria." I smiled and shook his hand. He looked at me for a second too long, so I looked down.

"I'm Ari." He said, smiling. "Kinda close to Aria." He winked. I immediately got butterflies. "This is Sam and Robert." He said, introducing his friends. We all greeted each other and shook hands like we were in some formal business meeting.

After they ordered, they sat down at the same table as us. It was awkward for a second, because Robert and Sam weren't saying much.

"So, Aria, Harper, do you guys live around here?" Ari asked.

"No, we're from Seattle. We literally had just gotten here when we saw you at that stoplight last night." Harper laughed.

I nodded my head, not knowing what to say.

"Oh, really? What brings you to LA then?" He asked. He was looking at me for every question he asked, but I didn't answer- Harper did.

Harper and Ari really seemed to be hitting it off the whole time. I was at a loss for words, which is strange for me, but I didn't say much. After talking with the boys, they got up and said bye and left.

Harper turned to me. "Jesus, Aria!" She laughed.

"What?!" I smiled.

"That boy, Ari." She widened her eyes.

"Oh, I know. You guys were totally hitting it off." I nodded and took the last sip of my smoothie.

Harper made a confused look. "Um, Aria. He was eyeing you the whole time I was talking to him. If you weren't looking down you'd notice him staring at you literally the whole time."

"What?" I raised my eyebrows, and laughed. "I wasn't even saying anything."

"Well, he was. To you. With his eyes." She raised her eyebrows at me and took a sip of her smoothie.

"I'm not here to find love." I laughed. "If he was so interested, he would've done something."

She shrugged, agreeing with me. "Sam though. Hot damn." She looked out the window.

"He didn't talk much." I said.

"He didn't need to." She replied.

When we were finished, we got up and began walking out of the store. Just before we got out, the worker yelled my name.

"Aria!?" He sounded excited but also confused, and was looking back and forth at me and Harper.

"Uh.. yeah?" I began walking back inside. He motioned for me to come closer. I walked up to the counter and he handed me a piece of folded up paper, winking. Oh god. He's like, 40.

I cringed opening up the paper, hoping it wasn't his cell phone number or something.

Your dress is red, my jacket is blue,
and I'd really like to go on a date with you.
Ari

His number was written at the bottom. I laughed and covered my mouth.

"What?!" Harper said. I handed the note to her and she jumped with excitement. "See, Aria?? Seeee??"

"He was too nervous to give it to you." The worker said.

I laughed and shook my head. "Thanks for doing that."

"I met my wife at a smoothie bar." He said.

I widened my eyes at the thought.

"Just saying." He shrugged.