28. Ring Ring Ring

After our shower, Ari and I spent the remainder of our time on my couch, watching my recordings of American Idol on the TV. We snacked on sugar snap peas and Botan rice candy.

Our shower was surprisingly innocent and cute, but there was still some obvious tension. I just don't think we were ready for anything. I wasn't, at least. That didn't stop us from laughing and being stupid together afterwards.

I looked at my phone. "It's 2:00. We should probably get the drinks and head over to Harper and Leila."

He yawned, stretching his arms out and sprawling even further out on the couch. "Pick me up."

I laughed. "Uh, you really think I could lift you?"

He perched his head up. "What are you trying to say? I'm a good size." He grinned.

"Let's goooo!" I laughed, standing up. I grabbed his hand and pulled his arm, but he was too heavy for me to move. He laughed at the effort, then stood up.

My phone vibrated in my back pocket, and I took it out. Starbucks was calling me. I made a weird face and showed Ari the screen, and he mimicked the same face as me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Aria, oh my god, call Harper, she called- we told her you weren't here- and you need to call her." Kiana spoke.

"What? Is everything ok?" I internally panicked.

"You just really need to call her." She was speaking fast and sounded like something was wrong.

"Okay, thank you- bye." I hurry and hung up the phone.

"What's going on?" Ari asked.

I quickly went to Harper's contact and pressed call. "They said I need to call Harper- she called them." My hands got a little shaky as I put the phone up to my face. He gave me a worried expression and watched as the phone rang.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Hey it's Harper, leave a message!

I quickly sent her a text, asking if everything was okay. Involuntarily, my eyes watered up- thinking about every horrible possibility there was.

"Is everything okay?" Ari asked. He stepped closer to me.

"I just-" I got a little choked up. "Leila's mechanical heart valve has been acting up. Her body doesn't do things right, and it's been scaring all of us. I just really hope everything's okay."

Ari wrapped me in a hug, and I hugged back tight.

I let go and grabbed my keys from the counter. "Lets just go up there and see what's happening."

"Okay." He nodded. His worried face made me even more worried than I already was.