Chapter 6

After finally settling on a few films from the bookshelf both Brad and James returned with food. We watched the first film which was Little Miss Sunshine and that sped by quickly, the boys had arranged it so I was sitting next to James because they were trying to 'get us together' which made me feel happy because they were clearly falling for our act that we liked each other in that sense. Part way through the second film James' arm found it's way around my waist and Tristan quickly noticed this and shot me a look wiggling his eyebrows but I shook my head sharply at him. The film however was interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing loudly from the hall where I'd left my jacket, I jumped up straight way because all the boys were whining about me interrupting the film.

"Hey Zo what's up?" I whispered answering my phone.

"Hey Hol remember how I was coming into London," Zoe sighed and I felt like some massive weight was dropped onto me because I'd forgotten all about her and how she meant to be staying with me and right now was probably locked outside my apartment.

"Oh my God I'm so sorry," I gasped.

"It's fine I'm outside your apartment now, I just need to know where the spare key is," she said calmly not annoyed with me.

"It's in the plant pot to the left," I replied quickly and then heard a fumble and the sound of keys on the other end.

"Found them," she giggled.

"I'm so sorry Zoe I'll just leave where I am now," I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Where are you anyway?" she asked.

"Erm I'll explain when I get home," I sighed shaking my head.

"Okay see you soon," she chirped clearly excited to see me and I was pretty excited to see her, I didn't know how I'd forgotten she was coming down to London it was pretty exciting news that I'd have a few days just me and her. 

"See you soon," I laughed before hanging up the phone and pulling my jacket on over me.

"Are you going?" James asked suddenly appearing in the hall.

"Yeah I forgot Zoe was coming into London and may have been locked out for a while," I shrugged slipping my phone into my pocket.

"I think I should take you home," he replied and before I could object her was in the other room telling the guys what he was doing. We got away from the apartment and I explained to James exactly what I'd said to Tristan and Connor whilst he was with Brad and he told me about how Brad was giving him tips about me which did make me burst out laughing.

"We're fooling them McVey," I laughed high fiving him as we sat in the back of the taxi on the way to my apartment.

"Surprisingly it's a lot easier then I thought," James shrugged. "Maybe this whole thing will be easier to convince people we like each other."

"Maybe," I smiled but then remembered about Zoe, no way would Zoe fall for the act I put on for Connor and Tristan, she was too smart and knew me way too well to fall for any of this rubbish. "Zoe won't fall for it though."

"Hmm maybe you'll have to become a better liar," he sighed.

"I can't lie to Zoe, she'll right through me," I bit my lip thinking. "Also I'd feel too bad."

"I feel bad lying to my 3 best friends you can lie to 1," he said simply, I guess he was right, he had to lie to a whole lot more people then I did and it was probably harder for him because he live with them and they worked together where as Zoe and me didn't leave near each other and ended up talking more through skype and iMesssage then face to face.

"Yeah you're right, I guess," I shrugged.

"Please I'm always right," he scoffed and I laughed slightly. "Anyway we need to celebrate because we're actually able to fool them."

"Maybe I can lie," I chuckled. "Anyway this is probably the easy part." James gave me a slight confused look when I said that. "Tricking the press and the fans, that'll be hard."

"I just assumed tricking the people that you know would be harder because...well because they know you," James sighed shaking his head.

"Nope the press will try to dig up stuff on us and our 'relationship'," I said using airquotes around 'relationship'.

"True," James agreed as we got out of the taxi and walked up to my apartment block. "You know we'll have to like kiss and stuff."

"Yeah," I nodded. "But it doesn't mean anything so it doesn't matter."

"Good I was just clarifying," he shrugged.

"Don't worry I'm not going to kiss you and then suddenly fall in love with you or realise I have feelings for you," I laughed shaking my head. "I know this is strictly professional."

"Oh I wasn't implying that you would," James shook his head as I stopped outside my apartment.

"Anyway thanks for er walking me back here," I sighed pulling my keys out of my pocket so I could open my door.

"It was my plessure," James smirked bowing his head.

"God you're weird," I laughed at him.

"Ah nah you love it," he chuckled and I rolled my eyes, I then heard footsteps make there way to the door and then a chain slide meaning Zoe was about to open the door and see us. Quickly James pulled me into a hug clearly hearing the noises as well, both of us knowing Zoe would be the hardest person to convince yet that her walking in on us hugging would imply a romance of some kind.

"Hey Hol, I was..." I heard Zoe say but her voice trailed off clearly seeing me and James, sharply I pulled away from the hug and looked at my feet after seeing Zoe's shocked face. "Sorry I erm...wait James?"

"Hi Zoe," James smiled over at her and then he turned to me. "I'll call you later Hol."

"Yeah," I sighed and heard footsteps move away from me meaning he was walking away and I slid past Zoe into my apartment.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Zoe squealed shutting the front door.

"Tell you what?" I asked pretending to be confused.

"That you and James weren't just friends and that those few instagram photos and tweets were of love and not friendship," she gushed collapsing on my sofa and pulling me down next to her. "I want to know it all."

"There's nothing to tell Zo," I sighed a tone of fake disappointment.

"Do you like him?!" she asked and I bit my lip.

"I think I do," I nodded slowly and Zoe once again squealed. "But he doesn't like me." I started to fidget in my shoes slightly.

"Why wouldn't he like you?" she frowned looking at me with her large eyes sympathetically, wait was she falling for this act as well? Either she didn't know me as well as I thought she did or I was a much better actress then the B I got in GCSE drama stated.

"Because I'm awkward and dorky and he's...well he's not," I buried my head in my hands trying to stop myself from accidently getting any giggles.

"No Holly you're beautiful and talented and he'd be crazy not to like you," she said soothingly.

"Still," I sighed looking up at her again. "I think he likes me as a friend."

"Friends don't hug each other like that," Zoe shook her head. "If you're being held back because of what happened with you and..."

"Zoe it's nothing to do with him," I frowned not wanting to talk about my ex-boyfriend.

"Yes but if that's what's holding you back James won't be like him," she smiled at me sweetly making me feel guilty for having to lie to her about all of it because she was the closet thing to a sister I was left with.

"Do you really think he likes me?" I asked trying to seem hopeful to make Zoe believe me.

"Of course he does you idiot," she laughed as if I was stupid.