Chapter 12

++River's P.O.V.++

I wake up smiling. I had the best night I have had in forever. I kissed Emmer. I know it's just a kiss but, it felt amazing. I felt as though the Emmer I knew was back for a little bit. And heck, maybe she is here to stay!

We'll see in a bit.

I jump up from my bed and stretch. I put on my glasses and just stay in my pajama pants.

"River."

"Eveline?" Suddenly I saw Eveline bug eyed. She looked horrified. She had bags, and didn't even bother to put make up on.

"R-read this." I quickly take the paper from Eveline's hands and just freeze.

River, Eveline, it's Emmer. I can't do any of this anymore. I have to leave. I can't seem to remember the person I want to remember. So, I'm leaving with someone I can. But, I wish you the best of life. Eveline, take great care of my family. And River, I honestly, don't know what to say. I'm sorry. -Emmer.

And at the end of the paper was a dry tear stain.

"I'm sorry River." Eveline pleads. But I was just frozen holding the paper in my hand.

She had nothing to say to me. She had something to say to EVELINE but not me?! Literally nothing. Nothing. Not even shit. Not even shit that wouldn't sting as much as it does right now. She couldn't have hurt me more. Its physically impossible.

"She has nothing to say to me." I mutter softly surprised I could even utter the words. But, Eveline just stood there silent.

"I'm sorry." She pleads as she fiddles with her fingers.

"Nothing. No shit to say. Nothing could hurt fucking more." I mutter but then quickly crumple the paper.

"I'm sorry. Tyler and I shouldn't have come here."

"Your fucking right." I say with fury. I roll my eyes and just walk out the bedroom.

"Please watch my kids." I yell as I grab my jacket and quickly put it on. I grab my keys to my motorcycle. But before I could do that fury filled me. Fury was all over my veins. I could hear my heart yelling for Ems. But then my head was telling me to kill that son of a bitch named 'Tyler'.

And that's when I punched the door.

Again, again, and again.

It had been years since I've acted this way. This was the old me. The me that Emmer changed. Emmer made me a good person.

But, being a Thornes. You never stay nice. Due to my father cheating on my mother countless times. But, my mother did the same.

And before I knew it my fury made me kick the door. Then the shoes on the floor. And that's when I ran towards the kitchen counter panting.

This is you.

A voice was telling me in my head. And I knew this voice was right. This has always been me.

Shitty, angry, and messed up.

I quickly pounded the counter top making the flowers on it fall. Then I kicked the stools by the counter.

"Fuck..." I mutter under my breath. I head towards the door again grabbing the knob but stop.

My kids.

I mean, I will be back. Just not the same.

Then I quickly walk towards the dining room and grab the picture on the wall of Emmer and I at our wedding.