𝖯𝗋𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾

The bay window was open, allowing a soft, warm breeze into the small room. A random record was spinning in the record player, emitting a sound that seemed to fill the room. Sun filtered through the white cotton curtains, allowing a mellow glow in the room. A bird perched on the branch closest to the window was singing, trying to copy the song from the record player

A girl was curled up on the couch under the window, eyes closed. The sun hit her pale face, warming her cold skin. Her eyelashes fluttered open as she opened her eyes to stare at the bird. Her lips curled into a small smile when the bird looked at her, it's small eyes trying to figure out if she was a threat.

The record stopped playing, and the bird fluttered away, startled at the absence of noise. Sighing, the girl began to debate in her head if she should get up and replay the record, or stay where she was and drift back to sleep.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her mother, who called for her downstairs.

"Alice! Would you come downstairs for a second dear?"

She smiled at her mothers British accent. It was something she was always jealous of - her mother's accent. Alice did not have an accent herself, just a boring, Canadian accent.

"Coming mom!" She shouted back.

Both of Alice's parents came from Britain and had accents. However Alice stood out from her parents, as she had an American accent, like all Ilvenmory students.

Alice slowly got up, and slipped on her rabbit slippers she got when she was twelve. She grabbed a frayed hair tie from her nightstand and quickly pulled her hair into a low knot, tying back her frizzy and heavy brown hair. She trampled down the stairs, the wooden floorboard creaking under her weight.

"Hey mom" 
Alice said with a warm smile as she sat down opposite of her mother. She noticed her mother's grave facial expression, and in her long, nimble hands was an opened letter on what seemed like crisp parchment

"We need to talk" 
her mother says, meeting Alice's gaze. Alice felt her heart drop at her mother's tone of voice, somber and serious. She only ever used that tone of voice when Alice had done something bad. Alice's eyebrows furrow, trying to remember all the bad things she had done over the summer and come up with an excuse for all of them

Did mom find out that I had one sip of firewhiskey that one time?

Alice dismissed the thought. She couldn't know, none of her friends would tell her mom... or would they?

"Your father and I have recently been asked to work another job" her mother stated, her lips drawn together in a line
Alice's eyes light up, and her eyebrow quirked up in surprise "that's great mom! Congratulations!"

Her mother shakes her head, and Alice stops talking, her face falling with confusion.

Her mother ran a hand over her face, "it's in London"

Alice's smile disappears. She wasn't stupid, she was able to piece the parts together quickly. Her mouth parted slightly in shock, "We're moving to London, aren't we?"

Her mother nods, and slides Alice the letter that was in between her fingers across the table. Alice turns the letter over, and sees a large red seal with an impressive emblem on it. She swallowed hard, trying to ignore the slightly nauseous feeling at the back of her throat

Alice turns the letter back over, and sees that it's addressed to her. Alice unfolded the envelope carefully, took out the letter and began reading.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
Dear Ms. Webster,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Alice drew in a deep and shaky breath, and looked up at her mother "when do we leave?" She asked, her eyes beginning to well up with tears.

"Two days. We need to get settled in the new house and get your books and robes" her mother mumbled, unable to look Alice in the eye.

"What about my wand?" Alice asks, seeing as Ilvermorny does not let its students have their wands outside of the school grounds until they turn 17.

Her mother reaches inside of a bag and takes Alice's wand out

Cypress wood with a Phoenix feather core 13" and rigid flexibility

Alice's eyes narrow, a sneaking suspicion at the back of her mind, "how long have you known?"

Her mother frowns, realizing Alice was uncovering the truth, "about three weeks" she breathed. She looked at Alice with pleading eyes, "I know you're angry"

Alice cocked her head to one side, and raised her eyebrows sarcastically, "Yes. I am angry," she clenched her jaw angrily, "you know for three weeks and you didn't bother to tell me?" Alice spat out bitterly, clenching her letter in her hand.

Her mother shakes her head, "it's complicated" she rested her forehead on her hand, feeling guilty for keeping such a thing from her daughter

Alice snatched her wand from where her mother placed it on the table, "Its not very complicated, mom. This is extremely important, and you should've told me!" Alice says, her voice filled with anger

Her mother sighed "we didn't want to tell you and ruin the last summer you would have with your friends," she looked at her daughter with pleading eyes, "I know you're angry, and it probably was not the right thing to do, but we didn't want to ruin these last few weeks you had left," she smiled softly, "we wanted you to live your life as normal as possible before everything got turned upside down"

Alice's face softens. She was still angry, but she understood why her mom did that; thinking it was the right thing to do.

"That's very kind of you. But I would've liked to have known" she raised an eyebrow, "I can make my own decisions, you know. I'm not a child. I deserved to know." 
Alice took a deep breath and let it out, the initial shock was starting to wear out,"I suppose I don't get a say in this decision?" 
Her mother shook her head sombrely "No. I'm sorry, dear but everything has been finalized."

Alice clenched her jaw, and nodded disappointingly, "fine then. I'm going to go tell my friends that I'm leaving" Without waiting for an answer she exited her small house, slamming the door behind her in anger. Tears of sadness and anger spilling onto her cheeks. She walked down her street, her heart breaking slightly at the thought of leaving it all behind.

________________________________
Well, here's the first chapter! Hope you enjoyed! The parts will be shorter than usual, but I'll publish more frequently

-Lauren