𝖭𝗂𝗇𝖾

All throughout dinner I sat there contemplating whether or not I would meet Draco tonight. My head told me he was no good, and that I should distance myself as much as possible from him. But something kept nagging me to go. I couldn't tell whether it was curiosity or something else. But it was powerful enough that after dinner, I went straight to the Astronomy tower like Draco asked me to.

I beat him to the Astronomy tower, so I sat near the edge of the tower, holding onto the railing for security. I kept turning my head over as to why I was here, and I couldn't come up with a viable answer. All of my intuition told me to leave him alone, and that I should want nothing to do with him. But it was something else that had dragged me up all of those steps to get up to the Astronomy tower. Maybe it was the part of Draco that I knew was in there that brought me here. The one that apologized to me and brought me my potions work, the one that helped me in charms and told off the mean Slytherin fourth years.

The one that was my friend

I exhale deeply. Whatever this situation was, it wasn't simple. I gaze out into the night, a cold breeze lifted the hair gently off of my neck, chilling me through. I wrap my cloak tighter around myself, and I glance down at my small wrist watch, realizing I had been waiting here for 15 minutes.

I scoff, disappointment coursing through my veins. I should've known better. This was Draco I was talking about. The one that told me off the very first day of school and bullied Hermione and Neville. What, was I expecting him to suddenly forget his old ways and act completely different?

I slowly got up from the cold ground that I had been sitting on. Brushing away the crumpled leaves that had gotten onto my skirt. I grabbed my bag from the ground and turned to leave.

I round the corner to take the stairs when I bumped into someone. I jump back, startled. "I'm sorry-" I look up from the ground and immediately stop talking. It was Draco. I glare at him, "I see you decided to show up?" I roll my eyes and scoff, "well, you're too late"I go to move around him and leave when he gently grabs my arm. My skin tingled at his touch, like it had just been set on fire. I quickly free my arm from his grasp, but immediately regret it. Still feeling where his hand was on my arm. I was completely shocked with what I had just felt, and I think Draco was too.

"S-Sorry" Draco mumbled, surprised by him own actions. I continue to try and leave but Draco blocks my way, "please, Alice. I almost got caught by Filch in the hallway, that's why I'm late" he looks at me with a pleading look.

I narrow my eyes at him, I couldn't tell if he was lying or not. The logical part of my brain was telling me to leave, and to forget about Draco while I still could. But there was another part of my brain, the stupid part, that was telling me to stay.

I sigh a deep sigh, "Fine. But this better be good" Draco nods, and I sit back down next to him at the edge of the Astronomy tower, keeping my legs tucked close to me and grasping the cold railing for security.

We sit in silence for a moment, and I hated it. I scrambled for something to say, but nothing came out of my mouth. I could still faintly feel where his hand was on my arm not too long ago.

"I don't want to be the bad guy anymore"

Draco says, finally breaking the silence between us. My eyes narrow thoughtfully at what he says, turning his words over in my head. "Why? Why are you coming to this conclusion now?" I turn and face him, "from what people have told me about you, you aren't exactly the nicest person"

He runs his hand through his hair, and sighs "I know," he pauses, "you know how I was talking about my family? And how they have a certain status to uphold?" I nod, slightly intrigued. "Well," he begins, "my family isn't exactly the nicest, especially my father. We are used to being feared and powerful, that's how we've made our way in this world," Draco pauses, his gaze distant, "my family's pride and joy is being pure blood. We hold so much value in the blood status of others," he hangs his head, exhaling deeply, "so, when I came to Hogwarts, my father told me that I had to act a certain way. To uphold this status my parents have worked so hard for," his facial expression changes to one of sadness, "and it's caused me to say and do a lot of hurtful things." There was a long pause, and I didn't know what to say. Draco continues, "I was born into this family, and I wasn't given a choice. I have to uphold these same values," he shakes his head, "I'm afraid of what will happen to me if I don't."