Chapter Five

[I actually like Lizzie (in the manga) but I needed to make her a mean girl...just roll with it]

~Sirius' POV~

I stumbled forward and the blonde menace paused as she drew nearer and a dawning look of realization crossed her face.

"Sirius?"

I clenched my fists, I loathed this girl. She pretended to be sweet and innocent and everything cute and ladylike, but she was nothing of the sort. "Hello Lizzie."

"What are you doing here?" She asked carefully, "I thought only nobility could attend."

I hated her. I despised her. It was her fault, everything was her fault. "Guess not." I said through clenched teeth.

"Oh, I thought perhaps you were an escort for someone." She shot coolly.

"Watch it, princess." I growled warningly.

"I'll tell Ciel if you threaten me." She smiled.

"Fine I won't threaten you I'll act first and dish out threats later." I glared.

"I'm calling your bluff, Sirius." She challenged me.

I lunged at her without even thinking; Lizzie flinched and recoiled away from me as I raised my fist ready to strike. A strong hand caught my wrist in a vice grip and I turned to tell off whoever had stopped me and paused when I recognized Ciel's butler wearing a ridiculous white mask. "Excuse me young miss, but I'm in need of a lovely assistant." His smooth dark velvet voice purred.

Lizzie slowly opened her eyes before regaining her smug composure and walking away. I turned to Ciel's butler with a glare. "Why did you interfere?"

"You think attacking his betrothed will make him happy?" He asked rationally.

"I don't really car-." No that wasn't true, his happiness was all I cared about, and I always found a way to upset him. I sighed in defeat, "Thank you."

I thought for a moment I saw a flash of color in his naturally burnt crimson eyes, almost like a spark of brilliant fuchsia, but in the same moment it had gone. There was something unusual about Ciel's butler. I couldn't quite place it, but for some reason I was anxious and apprehensive in his presence, I didn't trust him.

"Butler?" I asked smoothly.

He raised an eyebrow at this, "Yes?"

"I just want you to know something." I smiled sweetly.

"What is that, Miss Sirius?"

"I don't trust you." I glared.

"Believe me, Miss Sirius, the feeling is mutual." He smiled kindly.

I smirked at this, "If you put Ciel in danger, I won't hesitate to kill you."

His grip on my wrist tightened, "Likewise. So, I advise against any more of your little tricks like the one you played earlier."

I grit my teeth and forced myself to ignore the pain in my wrist, "If you don't release me, I'll make a scene."

He chuckled at this and eased his grip on my wrist, but he didn't let go. "You're bluffing."

"I never bluff." I threw him a wink before letting out a mock terrified yelp, "Let me go!"

He stared at me with wide eyes and released me abruptly as everyone nearby turned to us.

"Is he bothering you, young lady?" A giant of a man dressed to the nines asked gruffly as he approached us.

I threw the butler a quick victorious smirk before letting out a fake sniffle as tears welled in my eyes, "He was going to take advantage of me." I cried.

The men surrounding us glared at the butler.

"You should think about running." I whispered before stepping away from him.

"Get him!" One of the men cried.

I slipped away from the group with a laugh and made my way towards the spot I'd last seen Ciel with the Viscount only to find them missing. "Damn!" I muttered under my breath before darting for the doorway that led to the private quarters.

I reached into the front of my bodice and retrieved three scalpels tucked within as I slipped through a doorway that led to a dimly lit corridor. Where was Ciel? I can't believe that idiot butler left him alone with a man they suspected to be a serial killer.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" A gruff voice called out to me.

I turned to find a burly man wearing commoner's clothing holding an unconscious Ciel under his arm and a very startled looking Viscount in toe.

"Well aren't you a pretty little rose." He smiled.

I hurled one of my scalpels at the burly man and watched in awe as it pierced through his neck, striking dead center in his quivering Adam's apple. He let out a gurgled cough and stumbled forward as blood seeped from the corners of his lips.

"Release my friend." I growled as I took a step forward.

A strong hand with a drug-soaked rag clapped over my nose and mouth from behind. I slashed blindly behind me with my scalpels and felt myself slowly slip into the welcoming darkness as my captor cried out in pain.