Chapter Twenty Seven

~ Sirius' POV~

Esme whisked me off, ignoring my screams of protest and my fists beating against her back as she carried me away from the group. She didn't seem the least bit phased by my thrashing. I had to get to Ciel, he had asthma the cold water was going to make him sick and I had no idea where they would end up through the ducts they had assured us they would escape through.

Once Esme was satisfied we were a good enough distance that I wouldn't race back and wrench open the flood doors, she set me on my feet with ease.

"Go back!" I snarled at her. "We have to save him!"

"We can't do that." Esme crossed her arms in front of her chest and turned her rose eyes on me.

Emile swept me off my feet, "We need to move up, the ship will sink soon."

"What?!" I panicked as he and Esme raced for the nearest stairwell and bolted up the stairs. "We' can't leave Ciel!"

They raced up the stairs as far as they could, until there were too many people in the stairwell to go any further. The people were in a frenzy, the corpses were loose on the ship. I needed to get away from Esme and Emile, I had to find Ciel.

"I'm sorry, Emile." I breathed softly as I pressed my lips to his and kissed him with a fire. His grip around me began to slacken and I elbowed him in the gut with enough force to shove him away from me.

"Sirius!" Esme cried as I melted into the crowd and sprinted into the corridor, there were other stairwells I could take and if need be, I'd bust my way through the floor or ceiling to get to him. There was no telling where the air ducts took him.

The sound of screams echoed up ahead and I picked up my pace, I had to lose myself in the chaos. As I rounded the corner I saw people running and being viciously preyed upon by the corpses. I stepped into the hell of rended flesh and gore. There were a few people still alive as they were being devoured by the corpses crying until their lungs gave out reaching out for anyone to help them.

As I stepped into the massacre, none of the corpses made a move for me. Why?

Calmly I stepped through the flurry of corpses, bumping past them as I went. None of them cast me a second glance. What was wrong with me? Why didn't they attack me?

"Sirius?!" Esme and Emile cried from behind me.

I raced forward darting in and out of the corpses and took a bunch of twists and turns through the corridor hoping to lose myself. Just as I rounded a corner where there were more screams coming from, strong arms encircled me and I found myself being pulled out of the way of a runaway carriage being pulled by dead horses.

"Watch out, little Shinigami, you might get hurt." Ronald smiled down at me ruefully.

I shoved out of his hold, "They won't hurt me."

"Eh?" Ronald stared at me perplexed and grabbed hold of me as a corpse lumbered toward us. He pulled me away. Was the corpse trying to get to him?

"Are they attacking you?" I asked him in awe.

"They have been." He shrugged.

So, it wasn't because I was a Shinigami like he had been calling me, then what was it? "They won't attack me." I murmured somewhat downcast as I stepped away from him and walked toward the corpse.

The corpse stopped its advance as I stepped in front of it and moved to go around me. It lunged for Ronald and he struck it down with his odd mechanical weapon. His vibrant acidic green eyes were wide in awe as he looked to me.