Chapter Twenty Five

~Ciel's POV~

We wandered the eerily still stairwell in silence. I had my pistol at the ready in the event Rian put up a fight. My nerves were still shaken after the incident with the animated corpse and seeing Sirius look so weakened by whatever had happened with her and the reaper. Their familiarity bothered me, though I knew I had no right to be upset by it.

"You seem pretty close to that reaper." I noted coolly and nearly kicked myself the moment I said it as Sirius turned her brilliant emerald gaze on me. Ice pierced through my chest and it took all I had to keep from shivering, her glare was fierce.

"I don't see how that is any concern of yours." She hissed.

"Do you have feelings for him?" I demanded as jealousy reared its ugly head.

"That is definitely no concern of yours." Sirius was livid. She picked up her pace going on ahead of me with her hands gripped tightly into fists at her sides.

I mentally groaned, I was being childish. Why did I always chase her off? She was everything to me. I didn't understand why I always said things to wound her. When I managed to glance back up to offer her an apology I saw the end of her dress swishing around the corner. "Siri-." A hand clapped down over my shoulder from behind me causing me to yell and spin about with my pistol at the ready.

"KYAA!" Lizzie squealed in fright and nearly dropped the plate of cake in her hands.

"Lizzie?!" I stared at my fiancée in awe. What was she doing here?

Ciel, are you alri-?" Sirius appeared around the corner cutting off midsentence as she spotted Lizzie and her emerald eyes narrowed into a glare. "I thought I heard something annoying." She muttered under her breath.

Lizzie tried her best to ignore Sirius' comment and cutely stomped her foot, "Good Gracious, were you honestly going to shoot your fiancée?" She put more emphasis than was necessary on the word fiancée and I noticed Sirius tightened her grip on her already tightly balled fists causing her knuckles to turn violent white.

"Never mind that," I lowered my pistol, "What are you doing here?" Sirius shifted behind me and out of the corner of my eye I spotted her lean against the wall and fold her arms across her chest. She was resting though she'd never admit to it; she must still be weary from whatever she had experienced with the reaper.

Lizzie launched into her incessant babble. "I saw you run off, so I followed you. You suddenly disappeared when I asked you to wait, after all. I looked all over for you too." She pouted, "Oh! And, And! Ciel here's your ca-." I clapped my hand over her mouth unable to take anymore of her chatter.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't got time for you right now." I tried to make my voice sound soft and caring.

Lizzie's eyes flit to Sirius leaning against the wall behind me and tears began to well in her eyes. She began squealing something that was completely muffled by my gloved hand.

"It's not safe here." I cut off her muffled squealing, "Go back to where Auntie and the others are." I threw a glance at Sirius wondering why she was being so quiet; I'd thought she'd jump at the chance to get rid of Lizzie. Releasing Lizzie from my hold, I turned on my heel and looked to Sirius, "Let's go." My tone was cool and I knew Lizzie would be hurt by it, but I didn't really care.

Sirius ducked around the corner once more and we continued on our way. She looked pensive as we made our way to the Orlop Deck's cargo hold.