Chapter Twenty Three

~Sirius' POV~

"Would you care for some absolute purification water?" A well-dressed servant holding a crystal decanter filled with a clear liquid offered the three of us as we approached the first-class smoking lounge in the middle of the night. "It costs 30 pounds." He continued in a rehearsed manner.

"Seems a bit steep for water." I noted dryly.

The servant looked as if he were about to call out for help seeing as we weren't actually welcome. Emile's arm slid around my waist and in the next instant I found myself cradled against him with my face pressed into his chest.

"Be a dear and let us pass without any trouble." Esme's voice sounded warped beside me, it was a cross between something sinister and sickeningly sweet and sent a shiver down my spine.

The sound of cracking bones and tearing flesh made my stomach turn. It sounded as if it were coming from Esme. What was going on? I attempted to pull away from Emile to see what was happening, but his grip on me was iron tight and impossible to break.

"Emile." I squeaked in desperation.

The door opened in the next instant and Emile whisked me inside the lounge. Esme fell in step beside us with a dazzling smile lighting up her face. She looked entirely normal. I chanced a glance backward to the servant to find him slumped on the floor looking as if he'd just seen something truly monstrous.

"What did you do?" I asked Esme in awe.

"It's a secret." Esme stuck her tongue out at me.

"Sirius, what are you doing here?" Ciel suddenly hissed as Emile and Esme escorted me into the room cradling me between them as gentle as ever.

I turned to snap a retort at Ciel but paused, he was in disguise, again. Though this time, he wasn't pretending to be of the opposite sex. He was wearing a blonde wig, though still dressed as a fine young nobleman. His butler's hair seemed to have grown in length and was pulled back in a tidy ponytail with an elegant ribbon.

"He doesn't make a very cute blonde." Esme pointed bluntly beside me.

Ciel clenched his fists at his side already flustered with my companions. "It may not be safe, I don't want anything to happen to you."

"You should worry more about yourself, little boy." Esme scoffed as she slipped her hands around my waist and held me possessively, "Sirius can hold her own, and if need be I already know I can go toe to toe with a demon easy enough." Her smirk grew as her gaze fell upon Emile, "And with him here nothi-."

"Esme." Emile cut her off in a dismissive tone.

Esme snapped her mouth shut and averted her gaze.

Ciel looked to Sebastian curiously trying to decipher what Esme had meant about being able to hold her own against a demon. He turned his single revealed azure orb to me after a moment, "We just ran into your fath-."

Emile shot Ciel a look that I would have missed had I not been watching him out of the corner of my eye. It was a look I'd never thought the morose boy could ever muster. He looked positively sinister in that split second; it took my breath away and made my heart flutter. It was pure and primal. With a single look, I knew he would destroy anything and anyone who dared to hurt me in anyway.

"Emile?" I turned to scowl at the boy.

He offered me one of his slow lazy smiles as he gently pat me on the head, "They're about to start."