Chapter Ten

~Sirius' POV~

I woke feeling as if I'd been trampled by a stampede of wild horses. My entire body ached. Soft expensive silken sheets cocooned me in a warm blanketed embrace. A fire roared in an ornate fireplace nearby. This wasn't home, but it was familiar and immediately settled my nerves. It was the Phantomhive Manor in the country.

"You're awake." His voice sounded regal and stiff.

My eyes fluttered open with difficulty and I glanced in the direction the young earl's voice had come from. Ciel was sitting in a high backed plush chair at my bedside trying to act cool and indifferent. I was immediately overcome with rage. Why? Why was he back to his cold indifferent act?

"Oh, is Sirius awake, Ciel?" An obnoxious grating girly voice chirped from the doorway, Lizzie!

My glare should have pierced through her like a knife, it should have completely obliterated her, but still she stood with a way too bright smile plastered on her perfect girlish face. Hatred burned through me, broiling in my veins, bubbling up beneath the surface of my skin. Why? Why was she here?!

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here?" I managed to growl as I continued glaring icily at the prissy blonde in her expensive frills.

"Sebastian invited me." Lizzie smiled, "He said Ciel could really use some company with everything that's happened the past few days." She said sweetly.

His aunt had been killed before his very eyes. The last maternal figure in his life, the last semblance of a parent and I'd cut her down in front of him. She betrayed him, and it was unforgivable. I chanced a glance in his direction. His face was a stony mask of indifference, but there was something revealed deep within his single azure eye, pain, suffering, loneliness. It was my fault. I took his family away from him, I made him lonely.

Damn that wretched demon for inviting that vile putrid girl. Despite her bubbly nature she always brought up something painful that afflicted those around her. I despised her, not only for stealing Ciel from me, but for all the indirect pain she caused him.

I kept my mouth shut though every fiber in my being was telling me to lash out at the blonde. Ciel was hurting and me attacking Lizzie would only distress him further. Lizzie's bright green eyes flitted in my direction searching from me to Ciel in an almost desperate manner. She was suspicious. Of course, she would be. I was badly injured and yet it was Ciel's manor I was residing in, it was Ciel at my bedside and under Ciel's orders that I was being treated. I smirked to myself, it had to be tearing her up inside.

"Now that she's awake, why don't we go for a stroll in the garden Ciel?" Lizzie smiled coyly as she offered him her hand.

"The fresh air may do you some good, young master." The demon piped in as he appeared in the doorway with a roll of fresh bandages in hand.

Ciel threw me a reluctant look, he wanted to say something, but with present company he was hesitant. Anger burned through me, he was holding back, for HER sake, he didn't want his words to upset HER! He said he cared for me, in a way, but it was her feelings he was trying to protect.

The great earl, Ciel Phantomhive, was wavering. That despicable girl, she was making him soft. He opened his mouth to decline her offer, politely, but I cut him off.

"Go ahead, my lord, I've taken up enough of your time and hospitality. I'll be taking my leave." My voice was cold and surprised everyone in the room.

"Siri-."

"Go frolic in the garden with your fiancée." My voice was still icy and I mentally cursed at myself as I saw a flicker of pain in his revealed azure orb. I couldn't put all the blame on Lizzie, I hurt Ciel too, probably more. It was better this way; it would save him conflict with her later. She wouldn't give him as much grief or annoy him with her petty girlish worries if I pushed him away. He had more important things to focus on than her trivial frivolousness.