Chapter Twenty Nine

~Sirius' POV~

I don't know how it happened, but somehow, I had ended up at Greenhill's home. He didn't question me on how I got there and made up some silly story to his parents and invited me to stay the night with them. His family was very friendly and polite but it seemed like his parents were quite strict.

We returned to school the following morning and walked in silence to the prefects Gazebo. I spotted Esme and Emile near the entrance to the girls' dorm and made a move to head toward them but they both waved me on. They looked relieved to see me, I must have scared them with my sudden disappearance.

I trailed after Herman quietly trying to think of how I could possibly explain to him what had happened when I wasn't entirely sure of it myself. When we reached the prefects Gazebo Herman collapsed onto one of the chairs with a heavy sigh.

"What's wrong?" I asked him softly as I leaned against the gazebo railing watching him carefully.

"That's my line." He smiled sadly. "You were crying again."

"I had a rough day." I couldn't even force a smile, "I'm alright no-."

"You're lying." He smoothed back his already slicked back pale blonde hair and turned his green gaze to me.

"Esme and Emile took me on a vacation." I trailed off trying to think of what to say, "The boy who broke my heart was there."

"What happened?" He clenched his fists at his sides and I couldn't tell if he was intending on finding out who Ciel was and beating him to a pulp or if he was mad at himself for some bizarre reason.

"I broke my heart." I sighed.

He stared at me for a long while before offering me a sad smile, "That may be even more depressing."

"Certainly, more pathetic." I noted as I turned away from him to stare out at the river.

His strong arms wrapped around me from behind and I felt my heart stutter in my chest as he pulled me into a warm embrace. "I could never think that anything about you could possibly be pathetic."

"You don't know anything about me, Herman." I sighed as I leaned into his warmth.

"I know enough to know that you are one of the strongest, most stubborn and most devoted people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting." He smiled softly as he rested his chin atop my shoulder watching the river with me.

"I'm impure." I noted darkly, "I'm evil. I have fallen so far that I can't possibly have any hope at redemption or clemency."

He spun me in his arms to face him, so that my back was pressed against one of the gazebo columns and his hands were splayed out on the column on either side of my head blocking my escape. "That's not how I see you." His bright green eyes pierced through me. "That's not how anyone here sees you."

"Then you are all fools." I shot.

"We are all fools in love." Herman smiled softly as he gently caressed my cheek. "You will never be anything less than perfect in my eyes. I don't care how many lives you've taken, I don't care if you are one of the most maddeningly mysterious people on the entire planet, and I certainly don't care if you do have peculiar talents or dabble in witchcraft."

"What?!" I couldn't help but laugh at this. "Witchcraft?"

"Well whatever it is." He shrugged, "You appeared out of thin air, right before me."