17. Wrong Side of a Love Song

"And I don't wanna be without ya cause I can hardly breathe without ya..."

-Melanie Fiona

Jacquees

I've been sitting here in the kitchen at the island gathering my thoughts and patiently waiting on Naia to come home. We've barely spoken two word to each other since I had that talk with Issa the other day. Well, really I'm the one who has not said much. I don't know what to said. What she did really hurt me. I understand she was battling some things but that was a little drastic and it made me wonder what she'd do any given moment or worse, what if I had not walked in on that.

My thinking was interrupted when I heard her place her keys on the counter. She removed her jacket and purse and lay them both in the island. She looked so beautiful with her little growing 6 month belly.

"Hi, Que." She spoke softly giving me a subtle smile.

I simply looked at her and looked back down at my half eaten sandwich. She sighed and I saw her wipe her eyes indicating tears were beginning to form. She started rummaging through cabinets and drawers placing pots and a skillet on the stove. Then she went over to the refrigerator looking for something to cook and eventually getting frustrated with that she slammed the door closed causing a vase on top of the fridge to fall to the floor and shatter.

"My heart..." I heard her whisper as she began picking the broken pieces up.

She gathered too much in her hands and wound up cutting herself. She yelped in pain and threw it all in the trash. Grabbing a paper towel she tried to rush past me but I grabbed her waist pulling her to me. She looked at me in an aggravated way then continued tending to her cut. I grabbed a first aid kit we kept in the kitchen and began to help her. After cleaning the cut and placing a bandage on it she thanked me and tried to walk away but I grabbed her hand.

"I'm sorry Naia, I love you and we'll get through this. I promise."

"How do I know that, Que? You hate me."

"Hate you? Naimah, never in my life could I hate you. I hate what you did but you never. I honestly thought about calling this whole relationship quits and just being here for my baby girl..."

"Just do it..." I watched her get choked up and turn her head to block her tears.

"Man, I'm not tryna do that but if that suits you." I rolled my eyes and nonchalantly smacked my teeth.

I love her and I'm not trying to leave her but if she wants to play the victim she can be my guest and step with that. I refuse to kiss Naimah's ass when I'm not in the wrong.

********

2 weeks later...

Naimah

I lay in this hospital bed in the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. Soraya sat at my bedside excited and trying to console me. I just wanted to get this over with. I haven't even fully prepared myself for the birth of this child yet and she was apparently ready to make her entrance into this world a bit earlier than expected. Suddenly, Jacquees burst through the room door with Issa right on his heels.

"Hey, how are y'all?" He said rushing to my side.

"Good... I just wanna get this little girl out of me." I said through gritted teeth.

"Soon enough baby, soon enough." He chuckled, grabbing my hand.

*****

"Awwww, she's so precious!" The nurses and doctor cooed while a nurse lay my baby on a cloth across my chest.

I looked at Jacquees who had a joyful expression and that bright smile. The doctor handed him the scissors and he cut the umbilical cord as tears and joy filled his eyes. It was the most beautiful thing to see and hearing my baby girl's cry was the most beautiful. After getting me all cleaned up and transferring me to another room they finally brought my baby girl in to see us.

"Hey, Naia." Que called out to me whole gently rocking the baby.

"Yes?"

"I looked up some names before and the name Rani, I like it. It means 'my joy' in Hebrew." He replied with a bright smile.

"Aw, I like it. It's works. How about Jacelyn for her middle name." I smiled looking at my daughter peacefully sleeping in her father's arms.

"Broadnax?"

"None other than." I giggled.

He laughed and placed Rani in my arms and sat by my side. He fiddled his fingers for a few minutes and was about to speak until his mother came in the room.

"Where's my baby?!" Ms. Rosie exclaimed excitedly.

"She is right here," I smiled extending Rain out to her.

She took her from me and kissed my and Que's foreheads. Que smiled then looked back at me and grabbed my hands gently squeezing it.

"Thank you. I really appreciate you and I love you." Jacquees gave me the most beautiful smile then softly kissed my lips. Maybe I'm back in the proper side.

****