21: Amnesia

"See, eventually I will get through this but right now it seems my heart's in the way I apologize for the way that I treat ya..."

-Cherish

Naimah

The Sunday morning sun shone brightly through the partially cracked curtains and blinds shielding my bedroom window. To say it was the first day of November it did not seem to be too cool outside. I checked the time on my phone and it was 9 AM, I wasn't too late but I wasn't exactly early. I got out of the bed and hurriedly took a shower before my dear Rani would be waking up. Once my shower was completed I dressed myself in everything except my shoes and styled my hair. By the time I was finished my hair my princess was awake and hungry.

I grabbed the bottle I had warmed a few minutes before dressing and began feeding her. After she finished her bottle I lightly washed her off and dressed her and combed her hair as much as I was able to. I put my shoes on, grabbed the diaper bag, bottles and all of the other little things I need for Rani and myself then headed out of the door.

******
Church had finally ended and I must say it was a great service. Every word the pastor spoke felt like he was personally speaking to my spirit. I walked out of the churches French doors and was walking towards my car when I heard someone call my name. I swiftly turned around and was met by the fluorescent grin of Mr. Dustin himself. His smile was contagious so I could not help but to present him with one as well.

"Hey, you're not trying to run away from me are you?" Dustin smiled, gently embracing me in a warm hug.

"No, of course not. I was just trying to get to my car so that I could get the little princess out of this cold." I replied peering under the blanket where Rani was lightly slumbering against my chest.

"Okay I understand, well, I'll walk you." He placed his hand on the small of my back and we slowly strolled towards my car.

"Thank you." I smiled trying to ignore the alight sensation I got from where his hand was placed.

"No problem, how did you enjoy the service?" Dustin asked maneuvering us through a crowd of people.

"It was really nice actually. I enjoyed it, thank you again for inviting me, that was really sweet." I glanced up at him with a smile.

"Well, you're welcome. Thank you for finally accepting an invite of mine after two long weeks." He chuckled.

"Oh, please. You say that as if two weeks is a long time." I laughed as we approached my car.

"Without seeing that gorgeous face? Oh, trust me one day killed me, low key though." He laughed and opened the back door for me.

I was glad for having to put Rani in her seat because I felt myself blushing. Where the hell did he even come from? I cannot get too caught up in him though, I had other priorities. I placed Rani in her carseat and buckled her in. I covered her legs with a blanket and double checked her carseat's seatbelt as well as the one securing it. Once I finished I stood up and closed the door at which point Dustin opened mine's for me.

"Thank you." I smiled attempting to hide my blush while putting the diaper bag in the car.

"No problem. Hey, have dinner with me?" Dustin grinned while leaning on my car door.

"Hmm, I don't know about that. My baby's fa- I just don't really know about that Dustin."

"Hm. Okay, you know I won't keep letting you turn me down, right? Plus, if he loved you as much as you do him, would you have come here today or would you have spent those nights conversing with me?"

Whoa. I was not expecting that. His boldness caught me so off guard.

"Um. Yeah, I think I should go. I'll call you or something." I sat in my seat and put my legs in the car. I started the car and reached to close my door but he stopped it.

"Look, I didn't mean to come off that way Naimah but I want you to know you deserve better." Dustin lifted my chin and stared into my eyes.

God, what was the man doing to me? All I did was force a smile even more anxious to leave. He caught the drift and quickly kissed my forehead then closed my door and flashed me another award winning smile.

"Soraya, what the fuck have you gotten me into?" I damn near yelled at my best friend over the phone but cautious not to wake baby girl.

"Bitch, what? Are you talking about Mr. Sexy Tall Caramel Latter?" She laughed through the phone as if something was funny.

"Dustin. Yes, bruh I'm talking about Dustin."

"Girl, what happened?"

"Last week he invited me for family and friends day at his church so I went it was totally cool but the things he said to me after and the way he touched me, I-"

"TOUCHED YOU? He touched you? Girllll, how did it feel?" She questioned sounding as if she were purring.

"Ew, Raya stopped. He didn't touch me like that. It was more of a hand on my back and lifting my chin type thing." I said while bitting my lip reminiscing how great both bodily interactions felt.

"Mm. Sounds like he has the hots for you best friend."

"He does, he's talking about I should forget Jacquees and I deserve better, I don't know what to do."

"Bitch, you go for it! What the fuck? Look, Que is my nigga but y'all obviously need some time apart and I think Dustin would be the perfect candidate for it."

"I don't know man, something about him seems to good to be true."

"Oh, here we go. Naia, do it. You need it, hopefully he can give your uptight ass some dick or fingers or something."

"Soraya!"

"I am only telling the truth Naimah and you know it."

"Yeah, I know. Well, I need to cook me something to eat and clean up so I'll holla at you."

"Alright, call him Naimah." Soraya insisted one last time.

"Yeah, yeah. I love you, Rye Bread."

"I love you, too, Nye Dye."

I placed my phone on the bed and lay back. I lie there staring into space for a few minutes when I finally got the courage up to text him.

Text: "Hi, how would u feel about dinner tonight? My place?"

I threw my phone not anticipating the reply. It seemed like forever but two minutes later I heard my phone vibrate.

Text: "Sounds like a good idea. Txt me your address and I'll be over around 8?"

Text: "Cool. It's a date."
"No, dinner, plan. Um, dinner."

Text: "You were correct, a date it is(;"

All I could do was laugh and blush a little, maybe this is what I need to forget about Jacquees. It's harmless, right? Well, I hope so. There's only one way to find out. I got off of my bed and glanced over at Rani who was still napping in her basinet. I decided to quickly wash off then I moisturized my body and found a cute white and red laced bra and panty set. I put those on then put on some Victoria's Secrets Pink white sweatpants and a red wife-beater tank top. I left my hair hanging in the loose curls from earlier today.

After doing a once over in the mirror I grabbed Rani who had just woke up and we made our way to the kitchen. She didn't seem to be hungry so I placed her in her little musical bouncer and sat it on top of the counter facing the stove so that she was able to see me. I decided to cook a simple blackened chicken alfredo, salad and breadsticks for dinner. I began chopping, frying, boiling, the whole nine yards and by the time I was finished Dustin was at my door. I looked at myself in the living room mirror and quickly went to answer the door.

When I opened it he was standing there looking as good as I have never seen. Of course he had that signature smile and those dimples showing. He embraced me into a hug and he smelled oh so wonderful. I let him in the door and went to close it. The way that man smells, looks and feels its a wonder my lady parts aren't a big wetter than the current. My gosh, how am I going to get through dinner tonight?