five

chapter five - tacenda

tacenda (noun.) ; things better left unsaid, matters to be discussed only through silence.

song of the chapter ; supermarket flowers - ed sheeran

--

Hospitals had always been the worst for Farah.

She didn't like them as a child nor as an adult. They brought back memories that few words could describe. A type of saddening nostalgia that brought back memories of her mother and father. Memories of her home back in Louisiana where the remnants of her family lingered. Recollections of all the times she lay in the hospital bed, her eyes blinded by the brightness of the eggshell white on the walls, blaming herself for provoking him.

Farah often attempted to justify his actions, to rationalize the fact that Noah was the one who put her in such a state merely because she had prompted his attacks on her. Noah hadn't had a choice but to take her to the hospital, and every time she would simply lie to any doctors or nurses who asked how she ended up this way, or maybe it was because she didn't know either.

She could feel a presence loitering around the room, perhaps sat right next to her, but she shut her eyes in fear that it was Noah. But her heartbeat gave it away, the cardiac monitor's regular beeps growing at an alarmingly fast pace.

The series of identical sounds awoke Isra in a panic, his eyes shooting up and turning towards her. Farah lay before him, her curly hair creating a dark halo around her face, her skin a pale shade of grayish-brown that differed from its usually golden undertones, coated in a thin sheet of sweat and panic.

Her cheek was now a deeper shade of purple than it previously was, throbbing so hard she could almost feel the blood flow pumping through every single capillary and vein that lay under the skin. Farah's stomach ached every single time she gasped for air, forcing her to take smaller, shallower breaths.

When she forced herself to open her eyes, Israfil stood in front of her with a perturbed expression worn on his face, his thick inky eyebrows drawn together, a small crease settled in the middle, a clear sign of concern.

"What are you doing here?" She croaked.

His heart palpitated in his chest- she looked so tired and broken, her dark hair and deep skin contrasting with the white of the room, like a fallen angel of some sorts. She was a truly ethereal being, as if she didn't belong in the heavens or the earth- something beyond any existing worlds.

"I had to make sure you were okay," He spoke softly, almost as if he were addressing a wounded animal.

She shut her eyes again, "I don't want you here." Farah was lying through her teeth, in fact, Israfil seemed to be the only person that could provide any sense of comfort.

Israfil had to restrain himself from reaching out and clasping her hand in his own. "It doesn't matter if you want me here or not, Farah," Israfil stated. "I'm going to be here for you whether you like it or not. So don't try and push me away."

This angered her, "Haven't you done enough?!" She spat, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. "You should have just left me for the dead that day."

He shook his head, tendrils of his ebony hair falling onto his forehead. "How many times do you want me to say it, Farah? I couldn't have left you there, even if I tried."

That's when his entire sentimental being fell to the floor and shattered, merely becoming absolute shards of broken emotions as a sob left her mouth. He sat there, absolutely helpless as the most precious girl in the world began to cry in a hospital bed, feeling nothing but ruined and fragmented.

"I should have died that day," She whispered. Her arms were hooked around her knees, pulling them to her chest so she could lay her head on the top of them, her dark hair creating a curtain around her facial features. She was careful enough that she sat in a certain way that wouldn't reveal herself due to the hospital gown.

Israfil felt his self-control killing him, slowly withering away. He couldn't restrain himself, he stood up and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her trembling body into his own. A sense of déjà vu hit him as the scent of strawberries from her hair hit him, the strands of midnight tickling his face. "No, you shouldn't have. He's gone now, he can't hurt you anymore." He reassured, his voice cracking slightly.

"He always does." She mumbled.

His finger reached up and twirled a wispy coil of her silky hair around his finger, "You're safe with me," He murmured. "I promise.

--

"You're free to go," Doctor Hollick said, a sympathetic smile gracing his lips, his face adorning a look of pity for his Luna and Alpha. But he knew that she was in good hands now, Israfil was highly respected for a reason. He fiercely protected what was his, but at the same time was possibly one of the kindest souls you could ever meet.

"Just make sure she takes it easy for the next month or two, ice the area if any inflammation or throbbing occurs. Be sure she takes short, shallow breaths to ensure that they heal properly, as the lungs can cause stress on the ribs. Try to ice her cheek as well, and be careful not to put any pressure on it." He added before saying his goodbyes and leaving the room.

Dr.Hollick left the two in the room, blissfully unaware of the tension between Farah and Israfil. Farah remained on the bed, her pupils focusing on the plaster ceiling that was the exact color of snow. Where would she go now? She couldn't return to him. Not this time.

"You can stay with me," He offered, as if he were reading her every thought.

She simply turned towards him and peered at Israfil through her long lashes, her eyes so figuratively and visibly dark, to the point where you couldn't see where the pupil met the iris. They reflected the heavy glare of the ceiling light, scrutinizing and analyzing his any and every move.

Israfil swallowed hard, his adam's apple bobbing up and down as he wondered what she was thinking.

"What do you want in return?" It was as if they were strangers again, like they were back to square one, when her smiles were scarce and infrequent.

He shook his head, "Not everything wants something from you, Farah."

There he went again with his coaxing words and kindness that made Farah's heart fall to the floor.

Her eyes narrowed, "Yes they do. Everyone wants something in return, no one is ever absolute or genuine."

He hadn't remembered her being so restricted, so guarded. It was if any form of joy or happiness was stripped from her body the moment she awoke. "I don't want anything from you," He whispered. I want you, he wanted to say, but Israfil knew better than to say such a ludicrous thing, especially in her rattled state.

"I just want to make sure you're safe."

ngl this chap wasn't even that good lol but i just felt like updating

also please pardon any
grammatical errors, i'm like half asleep lmfao

what y'all think? lmk in the comments ❤️