nine

chapter nine - najaat

najaat (نجاة) ; rescue, salvation.

song of the chapter ; lay me down - sam smith

--

FARAH STARED AT that glint of platinum hair that stood out against the dark heads of passing citizens, not once noticing the threatening man that remained in the midst of it all, two identical golden eyes ferally glaring at her. She couldn't help but let out a strangled sound of perturbation and was stuck staring at him.

Hearing her distress, Israfil turned to her to see what had caused it. But she stayed as frozen as a statue, struck by a deafening and tremor-causing rationale. Her eyes were widened with trepidation and her mouth pursed tight, not letting out a single sound, in fear that Noah would attack her for it.

She could feel the beat of her heart. Palpitating maniacally with vigor against her ribcage, crawling up her trachea and leaving her able to sense the pulse now in her throat, pulsating through her arteries. Like a drum, the strikes of her heart began to make her feel lightheaded. But then, all at once, Noah's face disappeared as a tall, lank businessman brushed passed.

And like that he was gone.

His sudden disintegration made Farah feel as if she had just hallucinated it all. Like it was a figment of her tortured imagination, a mere illusion that had been the result of abuse. She felt crazy, for this had been the second time that she had seen him, and he had merely vanished into what seemed thin air.

Following her gaze, Israfil turned his head to what she had been so frightened of, but when he looked, there was just pedestrians crowding the sidewalk, various tourists of Los Angeles holding out their cameras, adorned in their obnoxious Hawaiian shirts and oversized sunglasses. But he didn't see any form of a threat, just average humans.

"What's wrong, Farah?" His deep voice swayed her out of touch state.

Her mouth fell open and then promptly shut, trying to gather her words. "I saw him." She squeaked out, nearly falling off her seat when the car began in motion once again.

Israfil's cerulean eyes shifted between the road and the precious girl sat next to him. "Who, Farah?"

"Noah," She squeaked out again, her voice meek. "I saw him. And then someone passed him and he just... disappeared." Farah had become conscious of how paranoid she truly sounded, like a squealing mouse. But she couldn't help it, she was so afraid of the man she thought that she loved, that the anxiety caused by him was borderline deathly.