eighteen

chapter eighteen - in goddess we trust

song of the chapter ; another sad love song - khalid

--

ALL FARAH EVER wanted was to be loved. She had received it in her childhood and early teenage years, growing up under the tender care of her Mother, but all of that changed when they moved from Natchitoches, Louisiana all the way to Seattle in Washington. The journey was fun enough, though, and had been Farah's first experience on an airplane. She had spent the entire flight with her face pressed against the window, eyes wide and excited as she gazed at the landscape below.

It all went downhill after she turned fifteen. Her mother had remarried and moved on, bringing a step-father into the family. She remembered it clearly, it was a rainy day in Magnolia, Seattle, the clouds spitting their fury down on the paved streets of the city. She had been cozied up on her couch, tired after a long day of school and ready to watch television and relax. Her eyes had just been closing when the doorbell rang.

Her eyebrows had furrowed, wondering who it would be because her mom wasn't supposed to be home until five. Her feet hit the carpeted floor as she walked towards the front door and swung it open, not bothering to look through the peephole. At first, the only person she saw was her mom, to which she welcomed inside with curiosity. And then, in he followed. A man, tall and light-skinned was holding the hand of her mom.

"Uh... okay?" She trailed off, staring at the man and her mom holding hands. "Who's this?"

Her mom had been wearing a bright smile, "This is Christopher."

"Okay," Farah said slowly.

Her mom's grin did not falter, "We're dating!" The words were like a smack to the face. "A couple months ago, Father David introduced him to me, he was new at our church!"

If only I had known, Farah cursed herself, nearly tripping over a stone. She should've warned her mother the moment Christopher left, the moment she saw his snarky smirk directed right at her. But instead, she suffered in silence, allowing the man to manipulate the mind of her mother and turn her against her own daughter. Allowing him to dictate the household.

But now wasn't the time for reminiscing. She had to be smart and keep track of her surroundings. Unfortunately for her, the area surrounding Israfil's pack was all forest which meant she had to navigate her way through it all to make it towards the nearest city or small town or village. Sounded easy enough, with the nearest civilization being a tiny village no more than three miles east. Maybe she could even hitch a couple rides to Nevada.