sixteen

chapter sixteen - moiety

song of the chapter; because I had you - shawn mendes

--

WITH NOAH NOW gone, there was nothing left for Farah to fear. But other than him, uncertainty and distrust were haunting and unpredictability was strangling. Israfil was an enigma; he wasn't easy to understand, and although his intentions seemed clear and pure enough, she could never be too cautious.

At the same time, though, her memories were enough to be scared of. And as guilty as she felt, she couldn't sit and spill every one of her darkest and deepest secrets. She couldn't mope over the loss of the man she once loved, even if he was somehow the worst and the best thing that happened. To say the words aloud, to recite the things inside her head would be to relive the events, and she knew she wasn't emotionally or mentally stable enough. As it is, Farah had flashbacks and night terrors of it all, and she knew she couldn't afford to lose any more sanity.

Conscience-stricken and woebegone, Farah felt dejected while she sat on her bed. She couldn't help but feel ashamed for her outburst, so she decided to catch her incipient remorse in its early stages, and began to rise. Her feet were bare on the soft carpet as she moved towards her door, and she placed her clammy hand on the cold metal handle and pulled it open, legs moving on their own accord towards his office. When she arrived, she was about to raise her fist to knock when she heard a voice.

"I did what I had to do, Azrael." It was Israfil, talking to his brother. "Don't tell me how to run my own fucking pack. I did what was in best interest of everybody, not just Farah."

She almost sucked in a sharp breath, but she kept quiet.

He sighs, "It doesn't matter what the repercussions were, Azrael. Do you want me to repeat it? I fucking killed the bastard, ripped his throat out with my damn teeth." Israfil continues, "Not only did he rape other women, but he murdered a man."

Thud, thud, thud.

Farah's heart slammed against her ribs, and she would've winced if she wasn't so consumed by a swallowing nauseated by his words. She didn't know which part was worse- that he had openly admitted that he had ripped out Noah's throat with his teeth or the discovery that she hadn't been the only woman Noah had raped and abused.

Thud, thud, thud, Israfil could hear her heartbeat now, and he swallowed harshly with anxiousness, hanging up the phone.

The horrifying revelation had the world spinning around her, and she leaned forward to grip the handle of the door, but it moved.