twenty-one

chapter twenty one - home

song of the chapter ; too good at goodbyes - sam smith

--

"HELLO?" ALPHA MARKUS answered.

Israfil let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. He was scared that the Alpha of Nevada wouldn't pick up the phone and would have to do all of his digging by himself. Although it would've been hard, he would've worked at it for the outcome--having Farah be in the safety in his home-- it was all worth it. "Alpha Markus," He addressed, "It's Alpha Israfil Aamer. How are you?" He didn't want to dawdle, but he had to keep in mind his manners and the way he carried himself.

"I'm good, how can I help you, Alpha Aamer?" His tone held suspicion, he didn't know why the Alpha of a large chunk in California was calling him.

Israfil tapped his fingers against his desk, rings clanking against the wood. "I wanted to request entry into your territory, my mate left and it seemed she headed towards you."

"Oh?" Markus didn't know what to say. "Uh, yeah, that's fine. Is there anything I can help you with?" He was aware that the flee of a mate was incredibly serious, without your other half, you were destined to spend the rest of your life depressed or suicidal.

"Yes, actually. Is it possible for you to make calls to all of the major airports, ask if any flights came in from Palmdale or surrounding cities and towns?" Israfil hoped he wasn't asking too much. The last thing he wanted was for Markus to deny him. Israfil's plans were based on Markus saying yes, and by him saying no, it would require an entirely new strategy.

"On one condition," Markus was prepared to bargain, Israfil could tell. "You owe me a favor."

Israfil raised an eyebrow, "What kind of favor?"

"I haven't decided yet," he said. "Think of it like an IOU."

Israfil sighed, "Fine. How quickly will you be able to gather the information I asked for?"

"Twelve hours minimum."

The three words were enough to make Israfil let out a frustrated groan. He couldn't wait any longer, he needed to find her as soon as possible, no matter what. Anything could happen to Farah without him out there to protect her. Waiting another twelve hours could be fatal, anything could happen in that window of time. Every second she spent out there, unguarded, was another second of dangerous opportunity. Anyone could take advantage of her within those twelve hours, and he wouldn't be able to stop it.