Chapter 4: Touchdown

~

It was about 9:00 pm before my mom dropped me off at the campus. I didn't even know if it was legal to be on campus at the time, but i was just here to get my homework. Homework isn't illegal, right? Well, it should be. It ruins lives. I told my mom i wouldn't be long. According to Anna's text, i was supposed to meet her on the football field, since that's the only place lit at this time of night. I was a little suspicious-it wasn't exactly the safest meeting spot. I looked in my backpack I had brought with me. Well, at least I had pepper spray, if any wild Grizzly bears decided to pick a fight with me. I sat in the middle of the field, on the prickly turf. Luckily, the fake grass didn't bother me, because I was wearing my dark denim jeans. I didn't see Anna, and after awhile i got a little worried. It was really unnerving to be sitting out on a football field, by yourself, at 9 at night. I decided to wait a little longer, hoping she would show. Every moment i stayed, I felt less at ease. Screw it. I'll take any F's i get, I'm not waiting here where I feel vulnerable. I got up, just as the familiar wave of terror came over me. I didn't even look back this time. I ran off towards the direction of the parking lot, my feet gaining speed as I neared the end-zone. I stopped when i saw a shadow emerge from where the stairs were. Whatever it was, it was blocking my exit. I turned around instantaneously, only to meet the wicked eyes of Dante himself. He had that stupid smirk on his face again. I knew he recognized my fear--and he liked it. He liked the fact I was scared. I don't know about you, but I wasn't going to find out what happened if i stayed for a 'chat'. I turned back around and sprinted further into the end-zone, almost nearing the goal posts. The figure that had been by the stairs came closer, and I could see he was in fact a guy, around Dante's age. He was built a little leaner, but still would have towered above me. His eyes, almost amber, peered at me from under dark lashes. He had the same expression Dante had had on his face....one that implied I was nothing more than prey, being hunted. Dante's voice boomed out from behind me.

"Hey Gabriel, touchdown."

I could almost feel the sadisitic smile he had on his face. Within seconds, the one named Gabriel had grinned, and pushed me against the goal post, pinning me there with one of his arms. If I wasn't so terrified right now, this experience might actually be kinda hot. But, since I was terrified, those thoughts disappeared like a wisp of smoke. My long waves bounced against my hips as I attempted to break free. Yeah, like that would work. Gabriel  didn't even budge. Dante walked closer to me, and then two other figures appeared from behind him out of thin air.  Had they been there the whole time? The two of them walked forward, both around the same height as Gabriel...maybe 6'3" if i had to guess. The one on the left, wiped brunette hair from his eyes. His chocolate eyes stared at me with such poison. The one to the right had a much softer complexion, and his blonde waves fell in short layers around his chiseled face. There almost appeared to be a sort of sorrow in his crystal eyes, as if he felt remorse for me. Dante turned to face the others. 

"Colton, Riley, we found her."

Colton glanced at me, his maroon hoodie falling from around his face. Riley glanced at me, and then back at his comrades. 

"Do what has to be done," Riley said, turning and walking away. He was going to desert me. I thought he cared.

Dante flashed his hideous smile at me.

"I'm not who I used to be, Zoella. I'm not your playmate anymore."

The flashback flooded back to me with such intensity, I thought i was going to collapse. His words hit me so hard, and it felt like a piece of my heart was missing. How could my childhood friend turn into this monster? This was not the same cute little boy i remember. That's when i recalled the last summer I had spent with him.