The Interrogation

~~O~~

Mirialia was very uncomfortable while heading towards the throne room with Tauriel. She could even hear the beating of her heart.

Tauriel stopped and turned to her, "You just have to tell the truth, Mirialia. That is all our king would want to hear from you. No lies."

When they reached the throne room, Mirialia saw the Elvenking, now wearing his crown with red berries. He was standing with his son, Legolas. Tauriel bowed to him, and went to stand near the stairs. Mirialia was about to follow her when Thranduil spoke.

"Do you recognize me now, young one?" he said.

Mirialia trembled as she heard his voice echoed through the room. She froze on her spot, her hands shaking and she did not dare to look at him.

"Forgive me, my lord." she answered nervously.

"Tell me your name and where have you come from." he commanded.

"I am Mirialia. I have come from the eastern shores."

"Eastern shores. Where do you reside?"

"I reside at the ship of Belus, my lord."

Thranduil eyebrows went up at her answer.

"The ship of Belus? You are living with the corsairs?" Legolas exclaimed.

"Yes."

"You are serving Gideon, then. The corsair hailed from the East." Thranduil echoed.

"You have met the man, Father?" Legolas asked.

"Twice, in Dorwinion." the king replied. "Where did you get this?" he asked Mirialia, as he held out the box.

There was a short pause before she answered. "It was part of the treasure long kept in our ship."

Thranduil narrowed his eyes. "Long kept. From where did he steal it?"

"He had it ever since, even before he was born. His ancestors kept it for hundreds of years, but we decided to give it back to you." Mirialia answered as her lips trembled.

"We? You are not alone then." Legolas said.

"Me and someone found a way to bring it out from the ship. But I came here alone." Mirialia nervously said, deciding not to mention Mari.

"Gideon. So much for thievery." Thranduil smirked. "As for you. Where will you go if I release you?"

That's one thing Mirialia haven't thought about yet. "I do not know. But I won't be going back to the ship."

Thranduil stared at her. "You will stay here." he said.

Mirialia, surprised at his answer, attempted to protest."No, my lord..-"

"I admire your courageous act, therefore, it is best for your safety to stay here for a while. Prepare a chamber for her, Tauriel."

Tauriel bowed and escorted Mirialia. Thranduil looked at his father's necklace then back to the woman as she and the elf walked away from the throne room.

~~O~~

Meanwhile, at the ship, Mari headed to the kitchen, when she heard the guards talking. One of them saw her and hurried towards her.

"The lady is missing, Mari. Have you seen her?" the guard asked.

"What? Since when?" she whispered.

"Since this afternoon. We could not find her anywhere in the ship." he said.

"I'm afraid I have not seen her." Mari lied.