Serving Grimmond

~~O~~

As soon as Mirialia stepped out of the tunnel, she found herself in the basement of the Royal House. Seaming tools were piled up in one corner and most of the them were rusty. Since no guards were in sight, she went upstairs at the first floor of the castle. The corridor was lined with flickering torches that lent little light. Huts, a temple and the mists were the only things she saw while looking outside a small window. Misery and despair seeped through the gray stone blocks of the wall.

Mirialia moved silently through the hallway, trying to calm herself while she was not being noticed yet. She remembered Diuval telling her that there were more rebels inside Heselon. Some disguised as residents and merchants while a few of them were inside the House as servants.

"Cielo." she whispered in a very low voice.

"My lady." a small voice answered her.

"Find where Gilion's prison is." the queen ordered.

"Right away." the invisible fairy replied.

Suddenly, the door ahead of her swung open and a man with slick black hair stepped into the hall. If he was startled by her presence, he did not acknowledge it. He eyed her from head to foot, with his brows furrowing slightly.

"Are you one of the new servants?" he asked.

"I am." Mirialia folded her arms defensively. She held her chin up, accentuating her pointed yet lovely features.

"Then why are you still here?" the man said.

"I am looking for the others, but I got hopelessly lost." she answered.

He did not appear disappointed; instead, he smiled much like a predator trying to hide his sharp teeth. "I will show you where you belong. Follow me."

The man's voice was smooth and dangerous like his smile. Mirialia unfolded her arms and gave him a polite nod. "Thank you. Lead the way."

She followed the man until they reached into what appeared to be the throne room. Inside were other women lined up and waiting for their master. Her heart felt pity upon seeing a young girl, seemed to be fourteen years of age who also stood and lined with them. She could see that most of them were trembling in fear.

"Are you ready to serve our Lord in the manner in which you were meant to do so?" the man echoed.

All of them nodded in response.

"Good." It satisfied him.

"Hail Grimmond! Lord of Heselon!" a guard at the door shouted.

Smirking, Grimmond walked in and motioned to dismiss the man's speech. He stood before them, shifting his gaze slowly until it landed on her.

"Ah, these may be my new servants." he started. "I must say, it will be good to have more women in this House."

Grimmond announced to them that most of the new servants will be assigned in the kitchen and in the gardens. He also told them a list of names who will supervise their work. It was not long when he dismissed them, and the women bowed and escorted outside. Now, all of them were gone except for one.

Leaning back in his throne, Grimmond entwined his fingers and looked again at Mirialia contemplatively. Her features caught his attention. The dark-brown hair and blue eyes, the expression that was curious and sly at the same time. Yet he was tall compared to her height.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Lyra." she answered blankly.

"Lyra. How does it feel like to work inside my House?"