A Brother's Big Heart

~~O~~

The night sky covered the Elvenking's land like a warm blanket. Numerous stars twinkled in the sky. The wind gently blew across the ground, causing blades of grass to waver. It was a seemingly perfect night for the month of December.

Inside the meeting room of his halls, Thranduil and his son sat at the round, wooden table. The lights inside the room gave a small reflection outside, lighting up various patches of grass. The king was giving instructions to the prince about the second party that will be leaving soon with him.

According to the report they received, more elves were needed for Ithilien. 'A barren land' was how the first party described the place from the moment they arrived. His son only nodded and giving out his suggestions at times.

"That's enough for today, Legolas." he said with a fatherly tone in his voice.

Legolas nodded and promptly picked up the paper and rolled it.

"We'll resume this some time next week. For now, I would like to go back to my chamber." With a big grin on his face, he remarked, "Besides, your sister is probably driving your mother mental!"

Legolas laughed and stood up. "She's only more than a year old, Father. How can she be doing that?"

"Because your sister is a female, that's why," Thranduil simply answered. He then pulled the door open and exited the room. "She'll make you go mad, too." The pair started to walk towards the king's chamber.

The prince nodded his head in agreement. "But not you?" He raised an eyebrow.

"When she becomes older."

"Ah," Legolas crossed his arms. "You'll be chasing the boys off left, right and center!"

"Might be, might not. She will definitely look like her mother," Thranduil stated.

~~O~~

They stepped into the warmth of the king's room. The two found Mirialia sitting on the couch, and rocking Mirien slightly in her arms. She looked up and smiled warmly, though Legolas could see the exhaustion in her eyes. Thranduil knelt by his daughter and started pinching her cheeks gently, causing the little elf to squeal in laughter.

"Legolas, could you do a favour for me?" the queen asked over the laughing.

"Anything, Mother." Legolas answered.

Mirialia murmured for Thranduil to move, and once he did, she stood up and carefully placed her daughter in his arms.

"Could you possibly try and get Mirien to sleep?" Mirialia asked wearily. "I've tried everything."

"Sure. I'll take care of it." Legolas said, grinning. "You just get some rest."

Making sure his mother was fine, he ventured into his sister's room; a new small bed was placed by the window. Baby toys were piled up in a corner and a rocking chair was in another corner.

Legolas knelt down and placed Mirien in her bed. He rested his arms on the edge of the bedside and nestled his head in the crease of his elbow. Mirien gazed at her brother with an 'O' shape forming her mouth, and curious blue eyes. He chuckled and reached over to ruffle her hair lightly.

"What you staring at, little sister?"

Mirien broke out into a smile and pointed a finger to him. The prince knew that this was her answer for "you".

Legolas smiled at his sister's antics and then sighed. "To be honest, I have no idea on how to get you to sleep."

With all his attention focused on his sister, the prince was unaware that his parents were standing by the door listening in. The queen had feigned being tired in order to get Legolas to bond with Mirien; she wanted the two to have a perfect relationship and to look out for each other.