Meeting The Rebels

~~O~~

To a casual observer, it would seem as though the three travelers looked like they were just wandering in the forest. One was an elf maiden mounted on a white horse, her hair neatly tied in a bun and seemed to ooze nobility. The second was a girl walking behind the horse, wearing a plain handmaiden dress. The third was a male elf, also mounted on a white horse, though his features were calm he was very alert.

Mirialia pulled her skirt from a bush. "And why did we leave the road again?" she asked.

"I told you," Glorfindel said. "those wagons were bad news. Do you want to have us discovered right away?"

"Where are we?" Lenneth asked, who was wearing Mirialia's dress since they already switched roles.

Glorfindel glared at them, and pulled out a map. He pointed a spot on it. "Right here," he said. "See? I know exactly where we are. Now come on, it's this way back to the road." He led them off.

The elf suddenly stopped short. "Someone is here." he said while getting off from Asfaloth.

A young man emerged behind the tree to their right. He walked towards them and cautiously inquired. "Are you Lord Glorfindel?"

"I am." the elf nodded. "I know who you might be but your name is?"

"James."

"James. And you are aware of our purpose?"

"Is this how all elves say hello?" he asked.

"It is." Glorfindel smirked.

"Fine." the man muttered. "Follow me, I will take you to our place."

The group was picking their way in a line, and it did not take long until they reached the place. James led them to a smooth stone wall.

"The map is a dead end?" Lenneth asked.

"No, no, this is it." Glorfindel said, shaking his head. "There's a trick to get in."

James walked up to the wall and ran his fingers over the groove in the rock. He then took the pendant of his necklace and pressed it into the groove. There was a scraping noise as the stone slid open. The young man smirked as he saw the men waiting behind the rock. Men with swords in hand.

Then one stepped out. He was short, with curly black hair and three knives balanced between the fingers of his left hand. "It's good to have you back, kid." the man claiming to be his father said, giving him a quick, one-armed hug.

"Welcome, Lord Glorfindel." he turned to the three. "Our leader is waiting inside."

Looking around, Mirialia saw that it was a large cavern. A safe place where these rebels could hide in complete secrecy. James and his father led them in a room, with a round table at its center. Inside it were a number of people, scattered around and talking in low voices. James' father walked over to a man and whispered something. The man came walking over, hands on his hips.

"Well, I never thought I'd be seeing the elves again after most of your kin fled from Carantheas." He said.

"Well, I should say that my kin were living peacefully in their place for so long until your king went on a rampage." says Glorfindel.

"He's no king. Grimmond is nothing but a mere steward. The king and queen died without an heir to the throne, so he took that opportunity." the man replied.

"How unfortunate." Lenneth's voice echoed in the room.

The man looked at her and smiled. "Forgive me, elf maiden. I have not introduced myself. I'm Diuval."

"My name is Miriel, wife of Thranduil. King of Eryn Lasgalen." Lenneth replied.

Smile disappeared in Diuval's face, and everyone else fell silent. He looked at Glorfindel, who smirked at him, then to Lenneth, and finally landed his gaze at Mirialia.

"You are Thranduil's queen?" he gazed back to Lenneth.

"Indeed." she answered. "Were you surprised to see me?"

"Truly." Diuval said. "In a place like this, yes. In a situation like this, yes."

He did not expect this at all. Now he started to wonder what her intentions are.

"Lady Gilwen of Carantheas pleaded for my aid, unfortunately, we came too late. Their land has fallen to Grimmond's hands. I decided to take action." the elf decoy explained.

"And this action is of your own? Which means Thranduil has no knowledge of it?"

"You're right."

"And why are you doing this without your husband's consent? Do you not fear Thranduil at all?"

"I do. But I cannot watch my kin fleeing for their lives, and their land stolen from them."

"I understand. Then what would be your purpose being here?"

Lenneth glanced at Mirialia. "I will need the help of your men for my handmaiden to enter Heselon. She will retrieve a scroll. A writing made by Oropher, Thranduil's father. Once we had it, things will be not much harder to give Carantheas back to its people. I will support this rebellion." she announced.

"But the Royal House of Heselon is heavily guarded. How will she supposed to go in?" James interrupted.

The people stared at Mirialia. Surely, they have no idea who she really was.

"You are keeping a mortal as your handmaiden?" Diuval asked.

"Yes, but she's not just a handmaiden, for she is a great friend." Lenneth said.

"Entering Heselon would be dangerous, once you got caught, they will bring you to Grimmond." Diuval said to Mirialia.

"I am aware of the danger. But since I am a mortal woman, I can slip through and blend in with the people without suspicion."

That was their plan after all. Enter Heselon, go inside the Royal House. Retrieve the scroll, and help Gilion to escape. Then give Glorfindel the signal to advance with his 'secret army'.

"There is a tunnel that will lead you inside the Royal House. But once you get in, you will have to disguise yourself as a servant." Diuval told her.

"I understand." Mirialia nodded.

The man sighed, and though a little hesitated, he agreed to the plan.

"This is going to be our first movement. Let's get you to the tunnel then."

Unknown to them, a hooded figure was resting under a tree outside, unnoticed in a considerable distance. Carefully waiting and observing of what will happen.

~~O~~