Acceptance

*The image above is her dress for this chapter.

~~O~~

"You are going to marry him. Are you not?"

Eowyn's tone was not accusatory, but Mirialia felt bitterness behind her words. Unable to lie or deny the fact, she nodded mutely.

The Lady of Rohan seemed to take her silence as confirmation. Mirialia heard her little sigh as she slipped quietly onto the wooden chair, her knees seemingly unable to support her anymore. The half-elf then sat on another chair placed across hers, waiting for the lady's reproof of her actions, her anger towards her for once again choosing the Woodland Realm over her father's land.

But there was only silence.

And it was after a few minutes, or perhaps several tedious hours, before Eowyn spoke.

"I thought..." She began slowly, as if finding it hard to choose the right words. "I thought what happened several months ago, after the burdens were lifted off from your shoulders, that you could finally let go of the past, and maybe, start seeking a future."

"Lady Eowyn, I.." Mirialia felt a strong urge to explain herself, and her actions. Yet when she stared at her, the words died at the tip of her tongue.

"But maybe I was wrong." Eowyn whispered, while continuing to stare at her, or maybe staring past her; the young woman could not tell. "You seemed happy while you lived with us." She asked. "Tell me Mirialia, are you happy here?"

"Yes." The other replied firmly. "I am happy here."

Eowyn gave her a wry smile. "But he is the cause of your pain."

"He was." Mirialia looked at her intently. "My lady, I should be with him, not because I need to but I want to."

Anger flashed in Eowyn's eyes for a brief moment. "King Thranduil." She gave a short, croaked laugh.

"Mirialia, you cannot keep doing this. You cannot keep leaving...us...all behind."

"I am not leaving you behind!" She could not help but raise her voice. "I am not leaving Rohan behind."

"But you are." Eowyn simply stated. Her voice turned soft.

Mirialia looked down to the ground. "I want to do this for him. I thought you will understand."

"I do understand." Eowyn said, placing a hand on her arm. "But our people will not. How am I supposed to explain it to them, when they are waiting for your return?"

"I'm sorry." It was not fair on Eowyn to deal with the trouble that she had caused.

Eowyn's eyes darted away to the ground and Mirialia saw them glisten with tears. And when she spoke, though her voice was controlled, Mirialia sensed the emotions that were on the verge of breaking.

The Elvenking summoned the royal siblings of Rohan to his kingdom to seek the hand of Mirialia in marriage. Eomer was delighted and happy; Eowyn, on the other hand, coldly stood up from her chair and asked Thranduil's permission to speak with the bride to-be. She found her at the courtyard, looking at the newly blossomed flowers.

"I feel like I'm losing you, Mirialia."

"No, you are not."

"No, I am." She held out a hand to stop her from interrupting. "I know.. I know we cannot replace him in your heart. But I was hoping that we-you and I, Eomer and Faramir-could be a family together."

"We are."

"No, we are not. Not when you are here."

Mirialia froze.

Eowyn's expression calmed, as she sat back down. "I'm sorry." she said after a moment. "I didn't mean it like that. It's just...It's just.. We love you. You are far older than us, but me and Eomer see you as our younger sister."

Mirialia gently smiled. "I love you too. I love Rohan, and its people. But I love him as well."

Eowyn deeply sighed, and turned away from her, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I remember you told me that one day my prince will come." Mirialia said. "It is not a prince that came but a king. Yes, he doesn't ride on a white horse because he rides on an elk. And yes, he doesn't have a big castle because his halls are underground. I cannot say that it is much better than any fairytale, but I'm sure that I can live with him...forever. And I'm already happy with that."

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she walked towards her and wrapped her arms on her waist, hugging Eowyn's back. The lady turned to face her and hugged her back.

"Well, I guess I cannot do anything about it anymore." She replied. "If that's what will make you happy, I cannot take that away from you." Eowyn cupped her cheek and wiped her tears away, then placed her forehead with hers. "You will be marrying a king, an elf king. And you will be a queen of this land, you should be ready for it."

Mirialia nodded. "Thank you."

~~O~~

She padded her way to the library, where Legolas told her that his father went there a few hours ago. Walking towards the door, Mirialia saw that it was slightly opened so she slipped in and closed it. She found Thranduil asleep in a small cushion, a book rested on his hand. She took it from him and placed it on the table, then sat quietly beside him.

"My lord?" She whispered softly.

His deep breathing was the only reply she heard. Taking his hand, she held it lightly.

"Lady Eowyn...could not accept it quite well, but she allowed it." she started. "She thought I will be forgetting Rohan after the marriage. But I will not. I told her that Rohan and its people will always be a part of me. However, my heart belongs here."

Looking down on his hand, she squeezed it softly. "I.. I cannot live without you. And there's nowhere in the world I would rather be, than here in this kingdom...with you."

When Mirialia looked up, she found Thranduil staring intently at her. Embarassment suddenly spelled on her face as her cheeks turned red, for all that time she thought he was asleep.

"You...you heard...everything?" She asked shyly.

"Every word." Thranduil smirked.

Yes, he heard all of it. The moment Mirialia started to speak, he was patiently listening.

"Oh." She said. "You are just faking your sleep then."

The king got off from the cushion and made his way to the table. He picked up the book and returned it to the shelf.

"Those were the loveliest words I have heard from you." He said.

"Huh?" She answered innocently.

"That you cannot live without me."

"Um..there's one more." She added.

"I love you too."

~~O~~

*Thank you for reading!