Rebel Heart

*I did some time skip.

The picture is her main crown.

~~O~~

It was near to midday on the Woodland Realm. In the last hours of hazy morning, Mirialia walked slowly along the outermost edge of the forest gardens. From a distance, she could hear the laughter of children, and the soft rushings of the waterfalls. The kingdom she was now reigning seemed as always a place of peace, of calmness.

Walking beside her in the gardens, leaning ever so slightly upon her arm, was the white wizard Mithrandir. They walked in silence, neither wanting to speak nor wishing to be alone.

With a sigh, Mirialia sat upon an ornately carved wooden bench to the side of the garden path. The wizard paused and turned to face her, his cloak dusting the stone pathway he stood upon. His gaze fell upon the young queen, and lingered there.

Without another thought, she sprang to her feet and took his arm, drawing him towards the bench.

"Thank you, my queen." Gandalf said.

A sweet smile quirked at the corners of Mirialia's mouth.

"I cannot allow a great wizard to stand while I sit." She said. "A queen I may be, but I refuse to fall victim to the thoughtless arrogance so often associated with royalty."

Gandalf returned the smile with the same feeling behind it, having seen the attitude of the young woman towards him. He had seen her life changed from a simple maiden to a gentle queen.

"Please, Gandalf. My name is Mirialia." His thoughts were interrupted by her words. "The Queen has been left behind in the throne room, and may she stay there until she is needed again. Beyond that single room, I wish very much to be simply Mirialia."

He nodded, and the look in his eyes was one of understanding. "Mirialia? Not Miriel?"

She laughed softly. "No. Miriel is the queen's name. She is who I became when I married Thranduil."

She paused shortly after speaking the name of her husband, who have been very protective of her.

"It is no crime to wish to be yourself, Mirialia." Gandalf said. "Though for a queen, I must say it is a bit more difficult."

"That it is, Gandalf. That it is. But I am determined to see it happen one day, nonetheless."

"Then one day it will happen." Gandalf replied. "I know you to be a rather- determined young woman."

"Stubborn might be more accurate," She said. "though determined is more tactful."

Approaching footsteps made her pause, and as it drew closer, a blue-robed figure came into view. It was Calen, one of Thranduil's captains. He smiled at her; a smile with more warmth behind it.

"Queen Miriel." Calen said with a graceful bow.

She nodded in greeting. "Calen."

"You are looking well, my queen."

"Spare me the royal greeting, Calen, at least until the Queen returns. Please?" Mirialia answered.

The captain smiled. "Certainly, child." He and the wizard exchanged knowing looks.

"Mithrandir, the king wishes to speak with you."

"Very well." Gandalf said. "I shall take my leave."

When the wizard left, Calen smiled again. A smile that was dazzling and captivating-- a smile which made him seem not even half his true age, and, with a gallantry that surprised Mirialia, offered her his arm. "Would you walk with me, my lady?"