Mírien, The New Light

~~O~~

Elrond and Mithrandir paid a visit to the Woodland Realm, which Thranduil gave them a warm welcome. Everyone was excited, for any time of the month, the queen's child will be born.

Thanks to Amariel's special teas, Mirialia was getting some sleep at night. Thranduil would sit with her and listen as she rambled dreamily about all the things that they would do as a family. He smiled. In so many ways, she was always an innocent. She could tune out the bad in a situation and focus on the good and this, in his opinion, was one of her greatest strengths and one of the main reasons why his people loved her so much.

Going to bed, he would watch her sleep;  her hands placed protectively over her abdomen. Thranduil nestled her into his side and she sighed as she felt his arms envelope her like a warm blanket.

Sleep well, my love. He thought. Nothing will harm you as long as I am here.

The Elvenking thought about his future daughter who looked so much like Mirialia. The vision Elrond showed to him several years ago had been a bit of a shock. But, then again, how could anyone expect one's future offspring to fall down from the sky? He laughed quietly at the memory. Yes, that was memorable. Even when he first met Mirialia, he sensed a connection between them that had confused him until the discovery that she was his future second wife.

So many memories came to the surface. The moment when she had a hard time telling him that she was carrying a child. The time when he saw her at the library and reading stories to their unborn daughter. He frowned when he found out she was reading to her about Erebor. Of all the great stories, he said to himself.

However, he was thrilled to become a father again. Having been an orphan and losing his parents in battle made the idea of a close-knit family very important to him. He would not be an absent father. Mirialia and Mírien, Legolas and any others which may come along later, would always be his first priority. He suddenly couldn't wait for the big day. Holding the infant in his arms, all the little firsts that herald a baby's growth would be memories forever etched into his mind.

~~O~~

Motherhood frightened Mirialia somewhat and, although happy that she was going to have a child of her own, she was still concerned on how she was going to balance of ruling her kingdom and spending time with her family. Then again, she thought sleepily, she does have Thranduil and he will be a perfect father, always supportive and ready to give a hand.

Thranduil talked to his daughter at night, telling her to always be a good girl like her mother and that they both loved her very much. As Mirialia went further along, she realized that she could feel the baby kick and would sometimes lie awake at night, simply concentrating on those little movements. She felt so much at peace. The kicks became so pronounced that even Thranduil could feel them and this fascinated him to no small degree.

Legolas watched with interest on how the queen's pregnancy advanced. He felt  Mírien's kick and he smiled with delight. He was now becoming attached to the little one.

Mirialia's husband was never far from her side; always encouraging her to eat "just one more bite for the baby" and always holding her near. Her light was getting stronger as Thranduil sees it. And she was becoming more beautiful.

~~O~~

Dinner was served at the early hours of the evening. Elrond offered his help on fixing the nursery, as he too wanted to make sure that everything was ready. Mirialia reminded him that the baby would not go into the nursery right away, but would sleep in a cradle by her side of their bed. Thranduil smiled and was about to pick up his goblet of wine when it suddenly moved by itself away from him. Everyone saw it and became silent. The king cleared his throat and stared intently on his wife.