A Happy Maiden's Heartache

~~O~~

The morning dawn was crisp, the breeze stirring the leaves of trees so that it looked like they waved to him as he hurried by. The stars had begun their retreat into the heavens, and the golden glory that was the morning sun peeked through the mountaintops to beam down at him, illuminating the cotton balls of clouds floating by like tinted marshmallows above him.

Legolas took a deep breath and smiled.

The day came for him to pay a visit to Gondor and to travel to Ithilien. He could not hide his excitement of seeing Minas Tirith once again and the great friend he left behind. Aragorn.

"So you will still be leaving." the Queen spoke.

"Only for a while, Mother. Aragorn wishes to see me. It has been a long time for him since we've seen each other. He also requested for my company when he goes to Ithilien." Legolas said.

"The King of Gondor became a great friend of yours as well." Thranduil commented.

"Truly. He will always have my aid no matter what." the Prince nodded. "And besides, I want to see how Tauriel and the others are doing."

"The report said Lady Eowyn and Lord Faramir have already moved there." Mirialia said.

"Yes, they moved to Ithilien after their wedding. Proclaimed by King Elessar, they are now the Lord and Lady of the land." Legolas replied.

"I am so happy for them, though it saddens me that I wasn't there during their wedding." the Queen said.

Legolas smiled gently. "Eowyn understands. You were carrying a child."

"For how long do you intend to stay there?" his father asked him.

"As long as they need me, Father. Once the forests have been completely restored, I will be coming back." Legolas said.

"Very well. Prepare the things that you will be bringing." Thranduil decided.

"Thank you."

Though excited as he was, it pained him to see Mirien crying for him. He went to her room and explained everything to her and it was not long until his sister finally understood. He also made a promise that they will visit Ithilien together and Mirien looked forward to his word.

It was not a tearful goodbye for they knew that he will be coming back. His father handed a letter for him to give to Aragorn, pledging allegiance to the kingdom of Gondor. Finally, the Queen handed her gifts for Eowyn and Faramir. Legolas cuddled his sister and gave a soft kiss on her forehead before heading down the road.

"I will miss him." Mirialia said with a sad voice.

"This is his home, my love. My son will always come back here." Thranduil reassured her.

~~O~~

Lenneth was standing under a tree, staring blankly at the ground.

I can't believe I'm standing here. Well, more like why am I standing here.

I'm standing here waiting for you.

I wrote you a note to meet me here. But I guess I arrived late and you were already gone.

She ended up tapping her foot with a lack of patience.

Where are you?

Few minutes passed, Lenneth sighed.

It doesn't matter now. I came late and you were gone.

She had been staring at the path so hard that she thought her eyes might fall out.

But her eyes only go wider as she heard a gallop of a horse and seeing the Prince with Arod as his mount. A shadow was cast in front of her and he stopped. His scent had already filled the air...

"Lenneth." came his casual greeting as he mounted off from his horse.

"Hi." She studied him as he turned to face her and she could really see the expression on his face. It was blank, like the winter snow. She couldn't read it at all.

Lenneth looked up into his eyes, and they just stared at each other. It was almost needed before she could proceed.

"So... you will be leaving again..." It was lame, but he got the idea.

"Yes. I wish to see Tauriel and the others." Legolas continued.

Lenneth wasn't sure if he was looking at her or at the ground anymore. He was shifty.

"I understand. I miss her too..." she said, a truth behind her words.

She looked up at him, begging for him to start. Unfortunately, her mouth wasn't done.

"I will miss you."

That didn't come out right. It sounded more like 'I need you' than 'I miss you'... But that's exactly what she felt.

"It's not like I won't be coming back." he spoke.

The elf maiden looked up at him lovingly. Finally, the Prince stared back at her the same way, but with a sparkle of danger in his eyes. She didn't know this kind of danger. It wasn't the 'let's go fight a troll' kind or the 'let's go find the evil men who wants to rule Middle-earth' kind. It was something much different, like something only she would ever see.

He walked over to her in long steps, too quickly for her to realize. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer.

"You are a great friend, Lenneth." he whispered to her ear.

Her surroundings seemed to spin until she closed her eyes and responded.

"And so are you, my prince."

Everything disappeared in that one moment. She was going to see him again. But a part of her wished that he wasn't leaving. That this kind of moment would last forever.

At least for this moment.

Lenneth tried to pull back from the embrace, but Legolas did not let go.

I'd never find anyone like you. I want to show you how you mean to me. All these years built up for this one moment, and this was all I was going to get.

The moment felt complete, yet deep inside she felt incomplete.

Legolas finally pulled back and gave her a bright smile, which she returned. It had been so much better if her dreams became real. Feeling his arms around her, she never want to let him go.

But I had to.

"You better go." she said, not knowing what else to say.

"Yes," was his short reply.

Her look saddened as Legolas headed for his horse. Before he left, Lenneth gave him a quick, but meaningful smile.

Her heart ached at seeing him leaving, her mind filled with regret as she let the moment slip away. When the Prince faded from her view, she turned around and walked back to the gate.

Maybe your heart belonged to Tauriel.

The tears that she fought hard to hide finally fell down from her eyes.

Maybe I'll never have another moment.

A figure standing behind a tree saw her crying. She was unaware of his presence. Seeing their cheerful friend in tears, a sad smile curved on his lips.

"Oh, Lenneth. If only you knew..." Calen said.

~~O~~

*Lenneth's character background: Born from a Silvan elleth and a Sindar elf. Her father, just like Mirialia's mother Anvanya, belonged to the small group of Sindar elves who migrated to Greenwood The Great with Oropher. Lenneth was born years after Legolas. Her mother died after an ambush of orcs occurred just outside their borders. Her father was the right hand of the Elder, Glauron. Lady Amariel, Glauron's wife took care of her since then. She's an elf who really loves songs and music.

I wrote this to avoid the confusion and for you to know her a bit more.