four

Leilani Morales cursed, nearly tumbling from on top of the counter where she stood in an attempt to reach the champagne glasses

Leilani Morales cursed, nearly tumbling from on top of the counter where she stood in an attempt to reach the champagne glasses. She gripped the side of the cabinet, steadying her slightly tipsy self before grabbing as many glasses as she could fit in one hand and slowly squatting to place them down. It was a process that required poise and strategic calculation, none of which she possessed at the moment. Mali got two shots of strong tequila into Leilani as soon as possible, and she was an unfortunate lightweight. Tipsy Leilani had a lot more confidence than the sober version, so when Lauren commented jokingly that they needed champagne glasses for the champagne, the brunette immediately volunteered and stumbled inside, almost slamming her entire body into the sliding glass door with the misconception that it was open.

It wasn't.

Her nose print was still on it.

Mali owned a total of seven champagne glasses—not enough for everyone at the gathering but enough to please Leilani who needed to accomplish this goal in order to satisfy her semi-coherent self. She snatched two more and carefully squatted to place them next to the others. There were three remaining, and out of impatience, she grabbed the trio by the stems at once.

"Need help?" A voice inquired from seemingly nowhere, startling Leilani to the point that one of the glasses slipped from her grip straight to the tile floor, shattering instantly. She teetered on the edge of the counter momentarily, sucking in a large breath as she anticipated her fall next, though her flailing hand managed to grab the inside of the cabinet just in time. Both her and the two glasses were saved.

"Shit," Leilani and Calum cursed at the same time, one clinging unsteadily to smooth wood while the other approached rigid glass.

"Don't move," Calum instructed, stepping strategically through the dangerous fragments. He held one hand up to her. "Give me the other two."

Leilani passed them to him with a shaky arm. "You fucking scared me."

"Yeah, sorry about that," he spoke earnestly after setting the glasses down on the kitchen island. A moment later, he turned back to her. "Okay, come here. Let me help you down. Hold onto me." Trembling knees reluctantly squatted down until her palms reached his shoulders, gripping them tightly as Calum lifted her by the hips. Leilani wrapped her legs around his waist, holding onto him until he placed her safely on the ground a few feet away. She took a moment to peer into his concerned brown eyes, sporting a bashful half smile.

"Thanks, even though you're the reason this happened."

"Don't worry, I'll clean it up," Calum responded with a brief chuckle, turning away from her. He went to the supply closet and removed a dustpan and brush.

"Let me help," Leilani offered. For the next few minutes, she held the dust pan while Calum brushed all the tiny fragments of glass into it, cracking pointless jokes all the while. The whole process probably took longer than necessary, but she didn't mind considering how funny the dark haired boy was. He made cleaning more enjoyable than it was supposed to be.