twenty-seven

"Lan, please stop pacing

"Lan, please stop pacing. You're worrying too much over this. Mali will come around," Calum reassured the fidgeting brunette who continued her path back and forth in front of the TV. Leilani Morales paused to glare at the boy before finishing off her route to the fake potted plant and turning around. Knowing his attempts at speaking to her were futile, Calum got up from the couch and intercepted her path, his muscular arms wrapping around her waist prior to lifting the dainty girl up. He carried her over to the couch as she mumbled halfhearted protests, laying her down sideways and placing himself right in front of her body on the edge of the cushion. "Just relax, baby."

"I can't relax. My best friend is leaving for London in four hours and she hates me," Leilani argued with a pout, checking her watch once again to see if Mali had responded to any of her texts or calls. Unfortunately, the small screen gave her nothing but the time and a massive load of disappointment. "I knew she'd be mad I didn't tell her but I can't believe she'd be that mad. And when did she explicitly tell you to stay away from me? She never mentioned that. I don't get why she would say that."

"She told me the day after her birthday party. I mean, she didn't know we had sex but she saw me proper flirting with you and wasn't a fan," Calum explained, running his fingers through her soft hair. "I didn't think much of it at the time because I thought she would say that to Ashton and Luke too considering you have that personality that has people enamored with you easily, but when she tried to set you up with Luke, it annoyed me a little."

Leilani's frown deepened. "I shouldn't have even talked to him in a way that hinted he and I could've been more than friends. It wasn't fair to you. I'm sorry."

"No, no, I'm not trying to make you feel worse here, love. I'm just reminding you that Mali would have been mad no matter what about us dating. You can't stress over something that was inevitable," Calum said, his fingers trailing down to her cheek which, despite her upset demeanor, rose with the presence of her smile.

"You think we were inevitable?" She teased, reaching out to grip his soft T-shirt. He'd changed from his nice dinner outfit after they arrived back at her house into a comfortable set of clothes he left in her bedroom.

"That's all it took to cheer you up?" He asked and pinched her cheek before leaning forward to press his lips to hers.

After a moment, she turned her head so that his mouth brushed against her cheek and frowned again. "No, I'm still upset about what happened."

Calum sat up straight. "Let me help take your mind off things," he stated, fingers traveling to the waistband of her shorts.

"Calum, no," Leilani protested, running a hand over her face.

He peered at her with an arched brow. "You're saying you don't want me to get you off right now?"

"It feels wrong," she pouted.

"Trust me, it's not going to feel wrong when I'm between your legs," he joked, and the brunette tried to keep a straight face, though eventually she fell into a fit of giggles.