eighteen

A few months later..

JISOO'S POV

The death of the queen has been announced to the people of the kingdom. A lot were devastated because one of their best rulers have died. A letter of abdication was found in her clothes. It is stated that her kingdom will now be ruled by her sister, Park Sooyoung.

After that, I hoped that she atleast was able to write me a short later. Even the 3 words, I love you, can put me to peace. Up to this day, a couple of months later, I still haven't received anything.

I was sitting in our small dining room with my brother. We have finished eating. As I was about to take my leave, he spoke.

"I know you still love the queen.. but you will have to marry someone else..." I know he didn't want to resort to this, but it was needed. Brother was obviously guilty for forcing me to marry someone else. I understand his point, and it will be useless to hate him.

"I only want to keep you safe, Jisoo. I've lost you before and I'm not letting that happen again.." I hesitated, of course. Marrying a stranger for my safety is still risky. And having someone inside your heart is making the situation much harder.

Orabeoni took my hand and rested something in my palms. "The queen told me to give it to you, only when this time comes." A tear fell from his eyes. I was too shocked to react, nor could I even process what's happening.

Brother Seokjin left me alone, closing the door behind him. I slowly unscrolled the roll. My hands shook, not able to unscroll it any further. What I saw was a painting of the two of us. A painting where the two of us were smiling, staring deeply into each other's eyes. I let the scroll loose, holding only the top part. A smaller scroll fell when the original scroll unrolled.

I took the smaller scroll into my hands, tears threatening to escape. Slowly unscrolling it, my tears broke free. "My dear Princess, my only love," Those few words have stung my heart, painfully reminding me of how all the good we've had was ruined by my ungrateful brat of a brother.

"My dear Princess, my only love,

I apologize if this letter is short. I do not have much time left. I have been wounded badly and was left here to die of too much bleeding. You shouldn't worry about me nor hang on to our love. I want you to continue your life with someone else, someone who can protect you. All I wanted was for you to be happy, for you to feel loved.

I figured I've accomplished my mission. My mission to bring out your true colors. The only thing needed is for someone to continue to let your colors flow. It might be selfish of me to disregard your love for me but this is just for your own safety. I will not say it's for the best since you, yourself know what's best for you.

I love you Princess, please never forget that. I will cherish all of our moments. I will be your protector, an angel of some sort. I—"

My eyes searched even the back of the scroll to find the rest of her letter. I couldn't figure out want she wanted to tell me. The letter ended abruptly. My eyes landed on a certain spot of the scroll. Blood. It was her blood. She made the effort to write me a letter at the verge of death and that was more than enough for me.

Though I didn't know what she wanted to tell me last, I figured I could just ask her that question when the time has come. I went outside of my room, searching for my brother.

He was sitting at the floor near the door, looking at the setting sun. He looked back at me, seeming to hear my footsteps.

"I'll do it. I'll marry someone...

For her."