nineteen

JISOO'S POV

"Jisoo! Prince Hyunwoo is here to see you." Brother Jin's head poked out from my door. "I'll be there in a moment." I had closed the book that I was reading and found my way to the garden. A prince had dedicated his time and effort to seize my heart. He visits me daily, giving me all sorts of gifts. I had told him that he need not to do that yet, he insisted to. His name is Son Hyunwoo, a prince from a kingdom far away.

I caught sight of him sitting at one of the smooth stone benches in our garden. "Princess." He stood up, bowing at me. I reciprocated his action. "It is a beautiful day today Princess. Care to accompany me to take a walk at the center? I heard that people were gathering for the former queen's death anniversary. I figured you might want to visit her." A genuine smile forming on his lips.

That is one of the reasons why I am comfortable with the prince. He never forced me to return his love, nor take things too quickly. He acknowledged the fact that someone owns my heart and that he might only get a fraction of my love. He didn't mind it at all. He respects my undying love for the Queen.

"I'd love to. Are you sure that it is fine with you?" I asked. Of course I still consider his feelings for me, specially now that we've been seeing each other for a few months. "If that is what pleases you, then that is what we're going to do. I don't mind it a bit." He took my hand and supported me on his horse. We took off and went to the center of the kingdom.

"Are you still longing for her?" He asked, his gazed stuck to my hand that was caressing the King's name. "Of course. She's my first love after all." I smiled bitterly. "You do know that you can back out of the wedding. Our wedding will be in a couple of months. I do not want to make you feel obligated to marry me." Prince Hyunwoo spoke, his voice soft and gentle. "It is fine by me... After all, the wedding is for my own sake. Am I right?" I looked at him a subtle smile on my lips. He just nodded, still looking at me worriedly.

"Also, I do not feel obligated to marry you. It might be hard for me to adjust to our relationship, but I will try my best to be the best partner."

"You don't have to try because you already are. I know how hard it is to lose the person you love, yet you stayed strong. You know why? Because you know she wanted you to carry on. She wanted to watch you from up there without pain in her heart. You're sacrificing a lot to keep your partner at peace. You're one of the best partners I know, Princess. Even though I'm not the one at the receiving end, knowing that you're her best partner is enough for me."