Prologue

Hello California!

So some background on me, my name's Quinn. I'm from Manhattan, born and raised. I've got an older brother- Tyler- and one little Chihuahua named, Princess. Both my parents are alive and they are still living in New York. Last Summer I finally graduated from high school. My big brother lives In LA, California in his three bedroom apartment that he shares with his roommate, I forgot his name but oh well. Today I'm finally moving in with my brother.

I'm currently sitting in the passenger's seat of Tyler's BMW, I just arrived at the airport and I had to beg him to come pick me up.

"So how's mom doing, how long did it take her to stop crying?" Tyler asks making a U-turn back to his apartment, which is conveniently not too far from the airport.

"Not long, remember you're the favorite. I'm just a mistake they made during a vacation to Hawaii." I scoff, rolling my eyes, turning back to look outside. Tyler always knew how to ruin the moment.

"That's not true and you know it, Quinn." He shakes his head and turns up the music which is playing 'God's Plan' by Drake.

The rest of the ride we sat in silence (other than the light snores from Princess in the backseats) not daring to look at one another. I love my big brother but sometimes I loath him when it comes to my parents.

I remember he got to get his first phone when he was twelve and I had to beg to get mines at fifteen. Kids would tease me because I didn't have a phone. That isn't the only time that I was neglected. But i'm not going to hold it against him (for now).

We pull up at the apartment complex and Tyler parks his BMW in his assigned parking spot.

Carrying my luggage and my dog bag, I make it up a few steps up to the apartment I'm going to live in with my brother for now on. Tyler unlocks the door and lets me in. When I get in I let Princess out of her bag and she runs widely through the unfamiliar scene.

Wow, this place is nice. It's modern looking and very neat for a guy's apartment. Black and white decor carefully placed in shelves and cabinets. Trinkets and miscellaneous items like rocks and small scented candles are beautifully decorated on a brown coffee table. The black velvet couch and white curtains compliment each other. Honestly I wasn't expecting this.

"Sorry it's so neat, my roommate is a neat freak," Tyler says, grabbing an Xbox controller out of a cabinet in the small coffee table.

"You're room is the one to the left down the hall," He points with his chin turning his Xbox on not paying much attention. I spent hours in a crowded airport, an extra couple hours on a smelly plane to see my brother for the first time in months and this is what I receive.

Gee, I feel welcomed. Oh and did I tell you I'm really good at being sarcastic? Sure, it's gotten me into trouble and it's given me a few beatings but I'm well damn good at being sarcastic.

Pushing my bags, I walk down a dark hallway and I make a left turn into an empty room.

It's nothing too exciting unless you consider four blank white walls fun. Of course there's a medium sized bed, I'm sure Tyler got a bigger one but hey; at least I got one right? Knowing Tyler he wouldn't give two sh*ts if I had to sleep on the floor. He's only good at scaring boys away and skating.

After about thirty minutes of unpacking my clothes, I go into the bathroom which is linked through my room into another. I'm guessing that room belongs to Tyler's roommate. Speaking of, I should probably learn his name soon.

I undress myself and turn on the shower. While the water is warming up I brush my teeth since I've been stuck in an airplane for the past eight hours. Once I'm done I slip into the shower, scrubbing off all the dirt off my tired body and hair.

I sigh loudly in relief. Finally, adulthood.

〰️〰️〰️

Edited 7/28/18.