Chapter 9

Selena

The voices are luring me again. They dance around in my mind. I weak up to the sound of the voice calling me and I start crying.

At least I am not alone anymore. I am safe, for now. These lovely people take care of me. It makes everything more bareable. But I am afraid it will all end soon. It always does.

Ivy walks through the door carrying a tray with food and 3 books. She is all smiles and giggles.

'Good morning, sweetie! How did you sleep? Let me take a look at you.'

Before I can realize what she means, she puts a small light in my eyes. It makes my eyes hurt a bit so I shut them quickly.

'Any headaches, night sweats, nausea?'she asks.

'Nothing, Ivy. You are taking good care of me. I'm feeling ok.' I smile at her.

'Then why don't you stand up and take a few steps for me?' She asks raising her eyebrow.

'I wish I could. I'm afraid to do it, honestly. Don't ask me why. I just am.' I avoid giving her a more detailed answer.

'But would you like to go outside for a walk? Would you like to walk in general?' She asks again with an intrigued look on her face.

'Of course. I am sure it's just because of the recent events, I am just scared, my mind is a mess. If you would be so kind to help me walk for a few days, I should be able to learn again and then I will leave you all alone and go on my way.' A small tear escapes my eye thinking where would I go. I know nobody. This room and these people are all I know.

'Sweetie, stop speaking nonsense. Nobody is kicking you out. In fact, I am glad you are here. It's been ages since the last time a woman stepped a foot in this house. And that woman was me.' She says reassuring me. I'm sure she is overreacting though.

'Eat up and I'll call Cain to help you walk around and maybe go outside to the beach. What's the fun in having a beach house if you don't take walks on the beach?' She winks at me and leaves the room.

I start eating breakfast. I think that's what it is called. I struggle to remember all the things I used to do when life was good with me, everything I read in the books I grew up with, so I don't make a fool out of myself.

I put the tray aside and open one of the books she brought to me. It's called Me before you. I dive into the lecture and I don't hear Cain coming in.

'Selena, I was told you would need my assistance with walking around, because you are having difficulties.' He smiles at me.

'Yes, Cain. Thank you. I'm still feeling too weak. I'm sorry I'm such a burden.'

'Nonesense, Selena. You are our guest. Now, let's go for a walk!'he says.

'Now?! Ok.' I tell him visibly anxious.

He helps me get up from bed and stand on my two feet. My knees are weak and shaky. He's holding my right arm for support.

'So, how do we do this?' I ask and he smiles.

'Simple, Selena. One foot in front of the other.' And then he starts laughing softly. I am pretty sure he doesn't realize that his joke is very literal for me, but I join him with a small laughter anyway.

And so, I start walking. I feel like a 1 year old kid, stumbling upon his own feet, but I am slowly doing it.

My balance is totally off. I will have to exercise it more, but I don't give up.

'How about I give you a tour of the house?' Cain interrupts my thoughts.

'I'd love that!'

And with that we exit the door, start walking down the stairs and into a long hallway with 6 doors. One of them is opened and I can see a light shinning from the nightstand. The heavy curtains are closed so there is no sunlight shinning through.

On the bed, I see the face of the man with the sky blue eyes, Dorian. He is sleeping but he looks pained. His face is full of beads of sweat and is frowned.

'Cain, there is something wrong with him, we need to call Ivy. He is sick!'i tell him worried and drag him into the room.

He wants to tell me something but I interrupt him and tell him to go find Ivy again so he leaves me there, sitting on the side of his bed.

I reach forward to touch his face and he feels cold, stone cold. I slowly pull myself onto the bed and put my body next to him. He stops frowning and groaning and his breathing returns to normal. His face also relaxes. I start humming my sailor song again and he reaches his hand around my waist and pulls me closer.

Before I could finish my song, Ivy barges in and looks at me in shock.

'Cain, take her out of here immediately. She is not safe here.' Then she turns around to me and scolds me like I am her child.

'What were you thinking, sweetie?' Her voice filled with concern.