Epilogue

Selena
7 years later

I sit on the beach watching Theo, Bella and Dorian building a sandcastle together with Alex.
Ivy and Cain are at a conference again so we are on baby sitting duty.

My Bella... I look at my baby girl in awe. She is so graceful, intelligent and kind. Her love for the ocean has grown over the years and can now hear its voice like a soft whisper in her ears. She helps all creatures she finds on the beach or on the streets. My heart melts everytime she calls me 'mamita'. She is my reflection, both physically and mentally. My little mermaid, as I call her all the time.

Theo is the perfect reflection of Dorian. He is strong for his age, fast, intelligent and determined to obtain anything he wishes. My sweet boy, my little sailor. He always gets into trouble for taking animals off the street and bringing them home. Him and Bella make a great team.

Life is simple now. Dorian keeps investing in real estate so he doesn't really have to work. We spent all our days travelling and enjoying life's pleasures. He does everything so that I won't ever feel trapped, so that he can make up for the years I've lost locked away in that basement.

I look at him and my children. I am truly blessed. I didn't know who I was before I met him. Now, my life has a purpose. As a matter of fact, my life has many purposes. I get to be a mother, a wife, a famous environmentalist and a cool aunt for Alex. All my dreams came true thanks to this man. My saviour, my angel, my demon, my sin.

Dorian

As I play in the sand with the kids, I can't help but look at my heavily pregnant and gorgeous wife. I remember her screaming that I will never touch her again and look at her now. She's radiating with happiness while admiring us from afar. I look at my wonderful kids and my heart explodes with all the love I feel for them.

We had our worries when they were born. We didn't know whether they will grow up to fit in this society. Turns out our fears were just that, fears. The babies grew up strong and normal, well, given our genes.

Bella is an oceanid. She's my bundle of joy, my sweet cupcake. She spends all day playing in the ocean. She likes ballet and is extremely intelligent for her age.

Theo is somehow, an enhanced human. He did inherit the immortal gene. He has super speed and fast reflexes. I don't know whether he will grow up to be a vampire or not. But I am relieved to know that they will both live forever.

'Papi, go get mamita to play with us.' Says Bella.

'Mamita cannot play. Your baby brother or sister will arrive any moment so she must rest, little cupcake.'

'Mom!' Theo shouts.

Selena starts walking toward us while she lifts her hands in the air waiting for Theo to jump in her arms.

'What's wrong, sailor?' She asks Theo.

'I wanted you to see our sandcastle.'

Selena takes a seat on the sand, next to me and gives me a small kiss on the lips. Just then, I wink at Theo and they both dig out an oister shell from the middle of our sandcastle, giving it to Selena.

'Open it, mamita!' Bella jumps with joy.

Selena brings the oister to her lips softly whispering something and the shell opens revealing a beautiful pearl ring. She turns towards me and finds me standing on one knee.

'From the moment I first saw you, my life changed forever. You brought my soul back to life. You thought me how to love, how to feel, how to be compassionate, how to be a father. I want to spend the rest of my existence making you and our family happy. Will you marry me, little dove?'

By the time I finish talking, she's already crying. Her palms are on her cheeks while tears are running down her cheeks.

'What do you say, mom?'

'Yes! I say, yes!'

She jumps into my arms and showers my face with kisses.

As we all sit down and watch the sun set I can't stop but thank the universe for this second chance at life. I didn't deserve it but somehow this wonderful woman danced into my life and made all the broken pieces of my soul fall back into place for the first time in forever. She mended me with her kindness that has the power to banish all evil from this world. No wonder why my heart didn't stand a chance.

'You are my morning star, little dove.'

'And you are my sunrise and my sunset, mon coeur.'

The end