Chapter 10

Selena

Cain grabs my arm and pulls me out of the room telling me it's best to let Ivy take care of Dorian and for us continue our house tour.
I decide not to argue with him and we continue our walk. However, it bothers me that they don't tell me what's wrong.

'This entire floor is only bedrooms and the science lab. The room next to the stairs to your room is where me and Ivy sleep and this is the lab room.' he opens the room just next to the stairs that go downstairs. I can see al lot of pictures on the walls, all sorts of small bottles and devices on the tables in the room. There is also a cabinet stocked with a lot of small bottles that contain a dark colored substance. The cabinet is iluminated inside. I've never seen anything like this, but again, I've never seen anything at all.

Cain smiles at me, closes the door and helps me walk down the stairs and leads me to the library. It is a huge room with books all the way to the ceiling. I stare at the room in awe and Cain bursts out laughing.

'I gather you also like reading?' He nudges my hand.

'Yes, I adore reading. It's always been my refugee while growing up.' At least one of them... the only one I still have.

'Dorian also loves reading, he's read every book in here. Ivy is struggling to reach his performance, but she is far behind, of course.' He doesn't add more information, he just pulls me away to the living area.

'You can come here whenever you want. There's a TV and everything else you need. That door leads to the bathroom on this floor and on the right you reach the kitchen. And that's it. The entire house. What do you think?' He sits me down on a fluffy armchair and turns on the TV, I think. All sort of moving images dance on the surface and I'm amazed. It has colours!

'Earth to Selena! Did you just hear what I said?' He distracts my attention from the TV.

'Yes, I heard you. Can you please teach me how to turn on the... mhmm.. TV?' I ask nervous.

'Of course. You just push this red button here. This is the volume up and this is the volume down. This is the navigating button. You can select what you want to watch using these two buttons. You click "ok" when you find what you like and the program changes to your selection. When you finish, you just use the red button again to turn it off. Simple, right?' He smiles warmly at me.

'It is. Thank you.' I smile back.

'Well, look at the time. It's past lunchtime. Let's go to the kitchen and see what Ivy cooked for us.' He takes my arm to help me stand up and then we slowly move towards the kitchen. It's all white and light grey.

The entire house is all white, light grey shades, beige and ivory. Everything looks like an oasis of light, everything except Dorian's room. His room is dark grey, black furniture, dark red sheets.

Ivy walks into the room and tells us to sit down at the table as she starts setting up the dishes and bringing in the food.

We eat in silence, a thing that doesn't help me because I start to hear a small whisper telling me to come bathe into the ocean. I sigh and look at Ivy.

'Ivy, do you think you could help me prepare the bath like you did yesterday? I'd like to have a bath a bit later. It calms me down.' I say, chewing on my lower lip.

'Of course, sweetie. And please pardon my reaction earlier, but you must never go to master Dorian's room when he sleeps. He may hurt you by mistake. He has... aaammhh.. nightmares.' She says looking at Cain.

After lunch, Cain helps me go to my room and I sit down on the armchair next to the window and start reading my book.

Ivy comes 4 hours later and brings me a sandwich for dinner. She then returns at around 9 pm to help me prepare my bath. I keep moving around the room by myself while grabbing ahold of everything in my way. I am determined to walk real soon and she is encouraging me to continue doing so.

I get inside the tub and let the water wash away the ocean's voice from my head. I relax completely. I spend some time washing my hair and singing my favorite sailor song. Soon I realize that the water is already cold. It doesn't bother me at all, but I get out anyway because I feel sleepy.

I take a big towel and wrap it around my body. As I slowly walk around the bathroom, using the furniture for supporting myself, I open the bathroom door and freeze.

'Dorian...' and then I lose my balance and fall but he catches me.
'You are making a habit out of falling into my arms, little dove.' His eyes darkening.