Chapter 28

Selena

The memories are painful, but I promised there will be no more secrets between us, so I continue my story.

'She kept me locked in my room for 4 days, without food or anything else. After 4 days she came to my room and grabbed my hair again, pulling me towards the dungeon. She locked me there and told me not to scream or shout or else she will kill me.'

Tears start pouring down my face as I look at Dorian. He looks angry. His fists are clenched and his eyebrows are shaped into a deep frown. 

'What did she do afterwards?'

'She kept me there for 6 months. She fed me leftovers everyday and gave me a bucket of water to wash myself. I would cry myself to sleep every night, asking the Gods why did they punish me in such a way. That's when I started hearing the ocean calling for me. You see, the ocean recognizes me and calls for me. The ocean needs me as much as I need it.'

I let out a deep sigh and continue speaking. 

'After 6 months, somebody came and opened the door to the dungeon. It was the man I saved from drowning. Apparently, my aunt fell in love with him the moment she saw him and she was angry at me because I put her life in danger by bringing love into her life. He helped me escape that night, and took me to a monastery in France. The nuns helped me heal my body and my soul. I stayed with them for 3 years, until the day I couldn't resist the voice of the ocean anymore and I went for a swim.'

I pause to take a sip of juice. 

'What happened then, little dove?'

'She found me. As soon as I entered the water she knew where I was. She came that night, killed five nuns and took me back as her prisoner. She beat me, telling me that the love of her life doesn't love her, that he loves me. She told me that the only reason she doesn't kill me is because he would never forgive her. So she kept me locked in the dungeon. I lost track of the time. I lost myself, my mind, my soul in that dungeon. I escaped once more, by myself and ran to a village. An old lady took me in her humble home and let me stay with her for 1 year, or so. I took care of her and the house. She was really sick. She found me anyway. She searched for me with the police telling them I am her crazy niece that needs to be hospitalized. She took me back to that horrible dungeon for the second time.'

I burst into tears again, remembering the pain, the beatings, the hunger. Dorian pulls me into a strong hug, caressing my hair. 

'Little dove, she won't hurt you anymore. If she comes for you, I will personally rip her heart out. You have me now. Please don't cry anymore. I can't breathe when I see you crying.' He tells me with a broken voice.

'I am here with you because her lover saved me again. I know he loved her too but he couldn't live with what she was doing to me. He was a very kind man. We were both on a small ship. I don't know what happened. I was too weak, my mind was too damaged. All I know is I woke up in that cave, afraid to touch the ocean water because she would find me again. This is why I fear the voice of the ocean. It is now a curse for me. I miss it so much, Dorian, and I can't touch it. It hurts my soul. I feel like a piece of me is missing.' I look at him with empty sad eyes. 

'Now you know. This is who I am. All I ever wanted was to heal the ocean, to take care of it. I never wanted anything else, not men, not love. This is why it didn't bother me to stay with her at first, why I didn't feel something was wrong. She told me she killed my mother because she was more beautiful and powerful than her and everybody loved my mother very much. She then killed my father so she could have me. She hated me, at first, because I am identical to my mother. She used to tell me these things while beating me. Her hatred is never-ending. She's a monster.' My tears continue to fall like waterfalls on my cheeks.

'That's enough, little dove. You don't need to tell me more. I am sorry I asked you to tell me your story. I brought you suffering. Please forgive me.' He says with a small voice while he wipes my tears.

'No, Dorian. You brought me peace. When I'm with you I don't hear the ocean's call, it doesn't hurt as bad. I can hear my own thoughts even tough you cloud my mind all the time.' I feel my cheeks blushing and decide to press a soft kiss on his lips to hide it.

'Is that sooo?' he says with a playful smile, lifting me up and spinning me in his arms, making me scream and smile.

This man... this man is everything I didn't know I needed. He's crazy, yet completely sane. He's dangerous, yet completely caring. He's cold, yet his heart is warm. He's perfect. I love him...

I stare at him, lost in my thoughts, smiling like an infatuated goose. I love him. There's no doubt about that. I close my eyes and let the feeling sink in. I'm not afraid anymore. I have him. He is my savior, my protector, my heart.

Being here in his arms feels like paradise. For the first time in forever, it feels like home. He is my home.

'I'll protect you, little dove. I'll give my life to keep you safe. This, I swear.' he whispers softly.