Chapter 1

I was running again.

The New York city scent filled my nose as the Manhattan skyline aproched. The Brooklyn bridge now behind me, I went routine. Passed the pharmacy, in between two mold-covered apartments, and five blocks then take a left.

I reached the meeting point where Franky would give me the clear.

But he wasn't here yet, strange. I plopped my bag filled with my loot on the cement. Then I lowered myself against the wall of a clear, blue office building.

I hadn't noticed the approaching police sirens and the drum of the helicopter propellers cutting through the chilly air. I got up and adjusted my ponytail, swung my bag over my sholder and began tuning towards Main St. Until a hand closed over my mouth and pushed me to the right, against the side of the office building.

" Shhhh" said the familiar voice. I turned to the left and Franky's worried face filled my vision. He whispered, "The cops are at the Orphanage already, we need to operate plan B.

"Okay, let's go." We snuck through a few alley-ways and then we arrived at the back of the orphanage. The orphanage was a boring, two story, beige building with vines growing up the sides and very few windows, mostly in the front. The back has no windows downstairs, but has two large ones in the girl's and boy's bedrooms. The bedrooms are large and each has twenty twin beds and a big closet with 10 big wardrobes.

Plan B is when can't go through the fire escape ladder that leads to the roof. Once we got to the roof, we'd go back down l the hatch to a hallway that splits into the girl's and boy's bedrooms. Plan B, though, is when we go through the back window in the girl's room. The boy's room have squeaky floors so we can't go through there without being caught. Every time Franky and I go out, the girls and boys tie their blankets into a rope that goes down thirty feet to the concrete floor.

We got to the building but we had to jump over the "electric fence" that was never electrified to save money. After we hurled over, we did the signal, three fast whistles and then a low, long one.

Stacy, the thirteen year old, three beds to my right opened the window and our tiny army lowered the make-shift rope. I wrapped the rope around my right hand and made a loop to step into with my right foot. I got to the top where the kids we watching out for the headmistress, sitting on their beds watching, or giving the rope everthing they got.

Franky popped over the window and then was helped to the old wooden floors of the orphanage.

"Come on everyone." Whispered Sophia, she was an eight year old across the aisle from me. She could never get enough books to stick her head in.

A swarm of hands grabbing and pulling for their blankets forced me to step back. Then I heard the front door to the orphanage open up and heavy footsteps hit the floors. I heard the shrilly voice of the headmistress telling them to not be too loud.

I looked back and all that remained was a gray and white blanket that was mine on the floor near the window. I ran over to lock the window and said good night to Franky. I jumped onto my bed, kicking off my boots and shoving my bag under the bed.

I wouldn't call myself criminal, but I did steal and rob people's homes. Yes, I'm a criminal, but I sell all of my goods and get the money to help pay for the kid's needs at the orphanage. Today, I stole a wallet, laptop, and a steroid from the patio of a Brooklyn apartment. This would give me about 1000 or more for the kid's special needs. Marley is gluten free, Jonah is allergic to peanuts, and so on. The headmistress thinks I have a job, but no one would hire me anywhere. I'm a high school drop out, for Pete's sake.

"BANG!!" A lound crash got me out of thought and I snuck a peek at the door where the headmistress and officer Greg stood. Greg had knocked over a picture on the wall. He is a tall, broad police officer who has dealt with me before. I know Greg because I have ended up in jail, but it was minor, the headmistress came and picked me up. She was not happy about it though.

After a few moments, "Well it looks like everyone's accounted for, we will see you in the morning." Said Greg with his rough voice. The headmistress then began... Crying?

The headmistress found me on her home's doorstep, when she didn't have a room at the orphanage yet and took me in. I came with a long letter from my parents, this gray and white blanket, and a aqua pendant around my neck. I thought of the pendant in my drawer, along with my letter, pocket knife, and hair brush. The few valuable things I had and adored for so long. But then I realized, why was Greg coming back here tomorrow. I snuck another peak at the door frame.

"You know they won't go with you easily, and I haven't even told them anything yet. I'm going to miss them the most..." The headmistress snifled. What was going on?! Who was leaving, was it time already for me and Franky to go?

"Good night Mrs. Kingsbe." Greg said as he walked off. Then the headmistress closed the door and her footsteps echoed down the stairs.

Where will I go? Will Franky and I be homeless forever? I have to go back to school now, or I won't ever get a job. One day I even hoped I'd get a scholarship because of being an orphan, but life didn't have love, or hope at times. I imaging my name clear on the golden plaque, reading Persia Amber.