Chapter 24

My voice echoed through the chamber and with it came their shouts.

"Are you insane?" Bethany screamed. I gave her a glare and looked at Emma who was covering her mouth with both of her hands, her eyes wide.

"I think so." Logan said crossing his arms. His face was tight and his eyes flared through his neutrality.

"This isn't funny! I'm not letting him take you, Ember wouldn't have wanted that." Chris said stepping forward with his hand outstretched. It bumped into an invisible wall and he pounded his fist against it. I didn't flinch, I crossed my arms and looked away.

"I made a promise to leave no one behind. Emma promised Ember we'd get out. That's what we are going to do- what I'm going to do." I looked at the corner of the room as I spoke. Maybe I was a coward for it, talking to a wall was easier than talking to my friends right now.

"What about you?" Chris asked. I glanced at them over my shoulder. "You know your going to have to give your crystal now."

"Why Is that a problem? I'm going to save Ember, the cost is giving up my powers."

"Without your crystal, you can't live for more than three days, and neither can your crystal. It won't just be your powers, but you life." Bethany faded the last part but I understood the risk.

"This changes nothing." I said quietly, but loud enough for them to hear. "I made a promise and I'm not going to be seen as a liar."

"You are not a liar-" a loud metal groan interrupted Chris's words. A circular hole in the ground opened under me. I ran to not fall in it, but I hit a force field. I looked across the widening hole at my friends, I mouthed "I'm sorry." I brought my sword out and plunged into the darkness below.

...

I fell for a long while with darkness all around me, the opening at the top had closed once I had fallen through. It reminded me of when Chris got sucked into one my visions, only this time I was utterly alone knowing I was heading to my inevitable doom. But before I could except that doom, I had to free Ember, she deserved to live.

"Hello Persia." Said a familiar snarl.

"Sup." I said relaxed, I crossed my arms, but held tight to my sword's handle still clutched in my right hand. I didn't know if I was upside-down or sideways or upright. All I knew was that I was not on the ground. A low laugh echoed in the cavern, I could tell it was a large space.

"Well you seem fairly happy for someone who lost a bet." The Fire King sneared.

"Bet?" I asked glaring. I had a feeling he could see me.

"You already forgot? I promised you'd come back, though I'm impressed all your friends are still alive." He teased.

"You knew you'd lose, so you took Ember when you saw you wouldn't win." I said coldly.

"I guess that's your weakness Persia. Lives above your own, right?" He laughed.

"Its better that way. No guilt." I grumbled.

"Of course." He said still laughing. "Persia, meet the ground, ground meet Persia." My name was snarled.

"Meet what-" I felt myself slow down and drop to the ground feet first. "Well that was helpful." I whispered.

"I didn't feel like making you splatter all over the ground. Risk of smashing your crystal" He said stepping into view. The Fire King was still Franky and his blue eyes were a icy blast to the face. I willed my sword back to my pendant and crossed my arms at him.

"What do you want now?" I said getting straight to the point. "My Crystal is here." I tapped on the pendant.

"Indeed it is, but I first need to get the Crystal Code charging its power for my return." He sneared. "Come." He turned and walked to the other side of the room where the Crystal Code was shinning. I didn't even take a step after him I needed to know this wasn't another one of his games and that Ember was here. He turned back to me with a cold smile and extended his hand to me. I stared into his cold eyes and a vortext of wind pulled me towards him against my will. "There." He continued walking towards the Crystal Code with me stumbling along in his wake.