Chapter 2

That morning, we had our breakfast, droopy eggs and greasy sausage. If there was one thing I could change, it would be the meals. We have stew every night, sandwiches or wraps for lunch and no desserts. I once found a box filled with chocolates left outside the side of a grocery store, that night, I became the kid's idol. But that was when I was 12. I never got that lucky again, that was back when I got straight A's in school, before I was responsible.

After breakfast, the kids busled around getting ready for school; brushing their teeth, changing out if their pjs, and brushing their hair. Once they all were waited outside for the single school bus only for the orphanage, Franky and I were called to the headmistress' office. We headed down there and that's when we saw Greg standing by the door.

"Today's your lucky day. I'm busting you guys out of this joint!" But little did he know that Franky and I were not a bit excited at all.

"Come in!" Shouted Mrs. Kingsbe, the headmistress. We walked in and plopped down on the wooden chairs. "Look guys, I know that you might not want to leave, but this is for your future. Please go with officer Gregory, for me?" Mrs. Kingsbe said.

"Your kicking us out?" Franky protested.

"Its for your own good."

"No, I won't leave and you won't make me. I can help with the kids, I can support this place and so can Franky!" I pleaded, but it was no use when I saw her shake her head.

"Pack your bags, now." Mrs. Kingsbe said and then Greg grabbed Franky and I by the arm. Franky pushed and mumbled something I couldn't make out. But Greg held tight and lead us all the way to our rooms. "Come back out only when your ready to leave."

"You can't treat us like lost pets!!" I shouted to the door and then Franky holled back.

"Why is it so important that we leave, you know there is nothing out there for us!" I could just see Franky in there, furious.

But Greg didn't say a word, without a choice, I stalked to my bed and began to pack my bags. I went over to the wardrobe and pulled out my backpack, a black and white travel bag. Then I slipped all my clothes in, ignoring the fact that I had few things to wear and pulled it to my bedside table. I pulled out the drawer and gently slid my letter, a chocolate bar, my pocket knife, and my brush into a little pocket on the side. I also put in my towel, and hand lotion in my backpack.

Lastly, I put on my pendant, the last thing that I had of my mother and father. It was passed down generations to every first born on my mother's side... Well that's what the letter said. I always felt connected to it and strangely, water.

I had a dream when I was 14, walking on the beach at sunset. It was gorgeous. My toes against the warm sand, my fingertips brushing the surface of the water, and the wind wiping my curly brown hair. The sun beating against my tan skin and red lips. And golden eyes staring at my sea green ones.

"Let's go, times up!" Greg said drawing me out of my reverie. I spung my backpack over my shoulder, turned at the room That housed me my whole life and saw a very iritated Franky out the door, as expected. Greg had his hand on Franky's sholder, he hated physical contact from anyone, that included me.

We walked out of the building and all I could think about was the girl's and boy's faces when we aren't there to help with their homework, listen to their school troubles, or do something funny and troublesome.

We were heading towards the police cars when Franky leaned over and said, "Make a run for it all the way to Broadway Lane?" I looked up surprised, but I nodded. We could still avoid this if we only tried. "He'll have to release us for a moment to open the car door. Run to the left."