Chapter 19

Monsters shuffled around, we had to hide behind the vines and sometimes kill them. It brought me back to day of running from the police in New York, but who would have known that I'd be in an underground maze, hidden beneath Arizona. Or brought to a camp for people with superpowers, or even have superpowers at all.

"Here comes another into our bear trap, we are the hunters..." Whispered Ember. She took out her silver dagger, covered in dried blood and as soon as a demon stepped around the corner, Ember sliced its throat. It fell to the ground before it even knew what happened, dead.

"You're getting good." Said Emma.

"Hopefully she won't kill us though." Whispered Logan behind.

"Like Ember said, you're such a bad whisperer." Bethany said bumping Logan with her shoulder. I still couldn't speak much, but I could walk on my own, not that Chris's hand wasn't comforting.

"Yep, yep, yep. Bad whispers." Ember giggled a bit and then she just smiled up at the ceiling. She was so weird and creepy at times.

"How far Ember, do you think until the Cavern of Whispers?" Chris asked.

"Not far, but far is far. Maybe too far. About the time it's done I suppose. Oh! I know longer than I had thought, maybe death." She said seriously now.

"Did anyone catch that?" Logan said louder.

"I think she thought it was closer, but its actually is not that far away, but like an illusion, who knows how far that is." Emma explained.

"How?" I managed to ask quietly. Emma seemed to understand what I meant.

"I honestly don't know exactly, but I had a feeling. Something about that feeling makes me what to protect her. It also helps me understand her, too." Emma said.

"Sister Emma!" Ember laughed. Emma started to smile, too. Her curly, red hair pulled into a high bun was all messy. Her curls, like mine, weren't easily brushed. Emma had, though, brushed Ember's hair and she now looked pretty cute. She also cleaned her face, it made her skin even more ghostly pale. Bethany was holding up, though we had stopped briefly to change and Bethany had pulled her dark brown hair into a side braid and put on jeans with a black tank top. I had changed out if my blood stained green sweatshirt, into a navy blue short sleeved shirt and into leggings. I had pulled my hair into a messy, low ponytail and kept my bandana on.
Emma had on a light blue shirt with holes in the shoulders and she kept her paint splattered jeans on. Her eyes were sapphire against the shirt, it seemed like her ocean eyes kept changing. When she wore green the other day, they were more misty green than blue. The boys had both put on black jeans and Chris wore a red t-shirt that complimented his eyes and Logan put on a gray hoodie. Emma had lend Ember some leggings which she had to roll up and a purple shirt that hung loose on her.

"Guys, it's almost here! Fun, fun, die. So different." Ember laughed and clasped her hands together.

"Why does she always say that?" Logan said. I shrugged and gave him a frown as a response. It had been about an hour since we came out of the hallucinations, thankfully, that had almost killed us.

"Here we go..." Ember whispered. "There are two Wisps and a two demons." She had a sense for monsters, she could sense them before we even saw them. She held up her fingers; three, two, one. A wisp rounded the corner and let off a scream again I plugged my ears and Logan clobbered it with his mace. I got up to a nearby demon to stab it with my sword in the chest and kicked him back into the other one which Emma had lodged an arrow into it's neck already. She retrieved her arrow and went to fire at the other wisp, but Ember blocked the way.

"Ember, move!" Emma shouted. All of the monsters had probably heard us by now. Ember ducked as an arrow hit the wisp's face and it fell back, turning into smoke, evaporating to nothing. "That was close." Emma said going to Ember. "I could have shot you!"